1991 Camaro Electrical Issue - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 05, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

1991 Camaro Electrical Issue

I was recently driving my '91 Camaro to work when all of a sudden I hear a popping noise and instantly everything shut off. There was no electricity coming into the car at all other than to the alarm. I had it towed to a mechanic who worked on it for two days with no result but his hands in the air. He checked the battery and it was fine. He then started to check the fuser link and it was fried. Replacing the fuser link and then trying to start the car burned out the fuser link instantly. He figured it must have been a short so he started investigating the components on either side of the fuser link. He said he got it down to the main circuit board and then down to the oil pressure switch. Leaving the oil pressure switch unplugged, he was able to get the car started. As soon as he plugged the switch back in, it blew the fuser link again. Figuring it was definitely the pressure switch, he ordered a new one and replaced it. Turned the car on and the fuser link blew...again! Disconnected the pressure switch to atleast get the car started and still nothing which means it wasn't really the oil pressure switch in the first place. He has since given up on it and told me to come have it towed out of there as soon as I can. Does anybody know what could be causing this?? There is absolutely no power coming INTO the car from the battery. Any help is appreciated!! Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 05, 11:59 AM
Senior Tech

Re: 1991 Camaro Electrical Issue

fubar
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 05, 12:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickdef17
fubar
Very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrysler
… Leaving the oil pressure switch unplugged, he was able to get the car started. As soon as he plugged the switch back in, it blew the fuser link again. Figuring it was definitely the pressure switch, he ordered a new one and replaced it. Turned the car on and the fuser link blew...again!...
Sounds like a wire shorted to ground somewhere. You will need to trace the wires. That guy gave up after doing the hard part. Get the wiring diagram out and start looking/probing.

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 05, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Yeah. The fusable link that keeps blowing is the one next to the starter (link B). I can't seem to find out what is causing it to short out though. I know there were three new gauges installed recently so I wonder if maybe one of those could be doing it. Also, I had to have a fuse replaced in the horn in order for it to work. Other than that, everything is stock. I'm lost though!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 05, 07:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Like I said, you need the wiring diagram. I'd start at the the OPS and work backwards.

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode