1984 Digital Dash - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 05, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Question 1984 Digital Dash

I have a 1984 Camaro that has the digital display for the Speedometer and Tachometer. The display no longer works and the Speedometer and Tachometer display just remains black. The other analog type guages that are in the same center panel (fuel, temp, battery, oil) seem to work ok, however. After removing this center digital dash panel and taking it apart, it appears obvious that that one of the chips on the circut board is burnt. I am now on a mission to call the local salvage yards to locate a replacement for this this digital dash panel.

To help with my search I would like to know if this panel is unique to this 1984 year or is this panel common among certain other year Camaros? If a replacement for the original digital panel is going to be too hard to locate I would like to replace the panel with a more comon speedometer guage set if possible but I don't know if it would be compatable with the plug in connector from the wire harness or if it would be compatable functionally. Can someone provide me with any information on this?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 05, 05:44 PM
Senior Tech

Re: 1984 Digital Dash

The only thing I know is that the computer had a card edge connector on it for a HUD. If you ended up installing conventional guages, I'd disconnect the HUD module. The ECM will access it's memory and may cause problems.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 05, 06:01 PM
Senior Tech
Bill Miller

Re: 1984 Digital Dash

I would look into having it repaired first. There are companys that repair radios and inst. clusters for dealers all the time. I would ask your local GM dealer to have it sent out for an estamate.

If that car is a berlineta there are alot of electronics that are only for that car, the light module comes to mind. It has been a long time since I worked on them but I think that car is alot different than a standard Camaro.

1969 RS convertible 327 1981 Z28 original unrestored
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode