Where to get power for radio - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 05, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Question Where to get power for radio

Car:
68 Camaro

Today I was able to remove the non-working Kenwood radio. A wire that went to the radio's switched lead was connected to the IGN terminal at the fusebox. The 'always on' wire is drawn from somewhere over by the fusebox.

The radio i'm putting in is a JVC KSR155 (2 shaft radio like the Kenwood one) and I was wondering would it be ok to use the IGN terminal at the fusebox as switched and the always-on lead that is already there?

Thanks!

EDIT: I also discovered 2 little black boxes on the radio's switched power and one on it's always on lead. I've seen these before. What are they and should I connect them to the JVC radio?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 05, 08:15 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

Re: Where to get power for radio

I have used the ign post on the fuse box with no problems. You may beable to locate the power feed to the original radio under the dash and splice into that.

69 Camaro convertible 327, TH 350, fully restored, well almost.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 05, 08:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

there are extra terminals on the fusebox. If you'd rather splice in, the yellow wires a hot with ignition on, orange is hot all the time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 05, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!

Does anybody know what the little black boxes are that were in line with the radio?

EDIT: I found a yellow wire that is cut off that hangs barely under the edge of the dash to the left of the radio area.

Would a voltage gauge also be ok to connect to the IGN terminal?

Last edited by Riccbhard; Aug 24th, 05 at 02:51 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 05, 03:07 PM
Senior Tech

The little black boxes are noise suppressors. The yellow wire is your best bet for switched power to the radio because it's live in the "run" and "acc" positions. The "ign" terminal only has power in the "run" position which would be good for the volt gauge.

69 RS 355 Tremec 5-Speed 4.11's
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 05, 02:29 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to undee72Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccbhard
Car:68 Camaro
The radio i'm putting in is a JVC KSR155 (2 shaft radio like the Kenwood one) and I was wondering would it be ok to use the IGN terminal at the fusebox as switched and the always-on lead that is already there?
Use the ACC terminal at the fuse box, it is hot in both key on and ACC positions. Use the BAT terminal for a always hot. See my post here for more info and a pic.

Greg U

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode