Intermittent Starting Problems - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 05, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Intermittent Starting Problems

Usually, my car will start without problems. Sometimes, the starter will not engage. Relays will click but no start. When this occurs, a test light shows power to the purple starter lead when the key is turned, but the starter will not engage. When I jump the purple ignition wire at the starter to the battery, the starter will engage. Happens when hot and cold. I have replaced the solenoid, but I am still having the same problems. Can this be the starter itself, or am I missing something. Any advice? Mike

Last edited by Mike67RS; Aug 28th, 05 at 02:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 05, 05:34 AM
Senior Tech
Steven

Re: Intermittent Starting Problems

Mike, the fact that the car is starting when you jump the purple wire seem to imply tha you are experiencing a voltage drop. I would go back and re-check my cables and connections. I had a similar problem on my 67 Chevelle and it didn't go away until I replaced the pos battery cable.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 05, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks...Battery cables are new and connections are good. I changed the purple starter wire from the firewall to the starter. The under dash wires look good too. I will try to check the voltage at the starter.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 05, 12:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

could be nuetral safety switch, or the ignition switch itself, too. Since we're talking 10 total feet of 12 guage wire plus 1 or 2 16 gauge fusible links, a lil voltage drop would be normal, and not present when you hit it with a screwdriver, so it could be dirty or corroded contacts in the solenoid, too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 05, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks again. I bypassed the nuetral safety switch. I will go through all of contacts again, but they all appear to be clean. I think the consensus is a voltage drop problem, so I will go with that for now. Could it be the starter? As I said, I did replace the soloneoid.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 05, 03:49 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

I had a similar problem. Everything seemed to be in order but sometimes it would just not start. Whithin seconds of boosting the battery it would fire. I tackled it by replacing the cables with repop spring rings, and a new 24-60 battery. I also had a problem with the barrel in the iginition switch so I replaced it.
Since then I have had no trouble with starting and I think it was just a weak battery after all.
My next step would have been to take it to my electronic shop to find out the fault. But so far it is solved.

I have owned 3 69 Z/28s: Garnet Red 30,000 mi unrestored.
Glacier Blue, documented Canadian Z
Rallye Green purchased new in 1969
1968 Camaro Coupe L30 275 horse. ]
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 05, 12:52 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to undee72Z

To check the entire starter circuit, electricity flows from the battery to the junction block, to the horn relay, to the bulkhead connector, to IGN switch, to neutral safety switch, to the starter "S" terminal. Check all connections and switches along this path. You may have a bad connection or high resistance in a switch.

Greg U

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 05, 01:15 AM

At this point I positively refuse to even attempt to crank a chevy small block with anything less than a 2 GA main positive and ground wire. Have had it with everything else. If everythng seems fine otherwise, the starter could simply have a high resistance spot where brushes hit. This will cause a voltage drop across whole ckt. This will be intermittent. But the odds against this being the problem are tremendous

You seem to have mentioned all else, but while working on it, put that new 2 gauge Battery and ground cable to use. Check and make sure the several grounds are also tight. I usually run a 2 gauge grd to block and with 4 to chassis. I also include the normal chassis ground wires that show stock, and run a second fused 4 ga bat cable to the inside for aux- radio's, amps and such. You could use your already new wires anyway?? Just for different purposes?

All this will save the next starter a huge amount of overwork and it'll last three times as long.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 05, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Undee, I appreciate the tips on the layout of the electrical system, this will definitely help. I am leaning towards a starter problem since I recently assembled the car and al connections looked good then. Can the starter be removed as tested? Thanks again, Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode