i need help to redo my electrical - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 05, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
JTM

i need help to redo my electrical

i want to pull every wire out and just put in the bare necessities, i wont be messing with the lighting harness just the engine ahrness, basically i just need to knwo how many wires the engine needs and what to hook them up to. the engine is a 350 with no electrical sensors a manual choke and an hei distributor. its also got a 3 wire alternator, i believe the engine is out of an 86 pickup (carborated) and its in a 1972 firebird (close enough to a camaro right?) i have like amillion wires running around in a big ball of crap right now, ad im pretty sure i should only need about 5 or 6. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks. (btw i have already removed all the radio a/c and heater switches and wires)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 05, 08:02 PM

Re: i need help to redo my electrical

Some questions first ,cause I am a fog on that year. 1. Are those birds still with regulators or is the regulator in the alternator. 2. Is the stock distributor one that uses a set of points and resistor? Simple conversion to more modern alternator is to copy the wiring diagram for the modern motor. This will eliminate any regulator if you now have one. If you dont, you are already wired the same and comparing diagrams should get you there.

To go Hei, simpy look at the same same mid 80's diagram distributor wiring and you'll find the resistor you may have now, missing. No such thing as seperate start and run wiring. It just goes hot and starts and runs. Simple. As simple as tying a key hot positive to the BAT terminal of the HEI. But better to use it wired like the factory would do for a later model car. Diagrams are the right way to go.

If you decide to go to electric fuel pump or the like, make sure to use relay controlled by key hot wiring. If electric fans are needed, be sure to also use a relay that is operated from a sensor at the intake or block and a key - hot control. Kits such as "Painless" supplies are made for those that dont wish to look for parts. If going to a lage sound system, make sure to use relay isolation for any power amps, if they dont have their own. An electric choke is nothing to be afraid of either; just remember that it has to stay on all the time the engine is running. this would also require using a key-hot ckt. I like relays for isolation, but you could use the same ckt as the one for the electric fuel pump to save on relays if need be.

I think you ought to go to the new style pulleys and brackets while there, also.

I mean if you dont wish to remain anything like stock anyway, then go all the way.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 05, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
JTM

well the thing is, the engine isnt from that year, i took the engine out of a mid-80's pickup (i think it was an 86) basically i just want to know what wires i need to hookup for the bare minimum. just enough wires to make it run. if theres a website or if you know itd be awesome. its got hei already and i kinda just need to know how many wires and where to hook them up just to make it run.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 05, 08:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

To make it run, you need the wire to the starter and the wire to the distributor...course there's probably a few more in that harness, like heater, alternator, wipers, etc.

When I cleaned mine up, I unwrapped the whole harness, fixed what needed fixing, added what needed adding, subtracted what had been poorly added in the past, then retaped with original style no-stick tape.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 05, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
JTM

yeah i already ripped all of my heater and a/c ad radio stuff out, just want to get rid of all the wires under the hood. so basically just need the wire to the distributor and the 2 to the starter?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 05, 08:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

with the hei, you only need the big purple one to the starter, you can rip out the yellow one too.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 05, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
JTM

so i just need the big posative cable from mybatterey to go directly to my starter and thats it? kuz right now i have 2 going to the big screw on the starter and one smaller one off to the side on another post... theres a 3rd post on the starter but its nto beingused (engine is a 350 from an 86 chevy) also none of my wires are colored correctly im assuming kuz ive never seen a big yellow one :P
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 05, 07:44 PM

Did you get the alternator plug and wires from the donor? Makes life easier. The seventies had spade terminals you could build wires one at a time. Somewhere the eighties went to a special plug. Perhaps find one in a junk.

Did you remember the 10 or 12 GA to the alternator (large individual terminal with NUT)? Straight to the positive of the battery?

Are you adding an eletric fan? You'll need to add a thermostatic sensor and a relay sytem to turn the fan on. Running it all the time is shade tree.

Did you move the sending units from the original motor to the new one? For the dash to work as if stock, or will you go to aftermarket. I like both if possible.

So you have now got ignition from the fuse panel key on, to the distributor.
You also have A "key on" ckt to the "S" term on your starter and at least a 4 gauge to the main terminal on the starter. The S lead may well be a 12 Gauge wire in ones I wire. Cant remember what factory does, fully believe many have a fusable link down there. Read a diagram on your Pontiac and find out.

You may wish to add a tach from the dist to the dash?

You should have at least lites for oil, water temp and alternator, perhaps a brake master cylinder fail type lite. Make sure to add al the proper senders.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 05, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
JTM

well guages are the last thing im worried about to be honest, i would be going all afetrmarket anyways so the senders n such will be stand alone. im mainly conserned abotu getting it to run (again). i have th e+ going directly to the fat post on the starter, then i need a wire from the S to the start position of the key correct? then ill have the 12 guage from the big nut (the one i connected the batt to) to the alt. and the last wire ill need (just to keep the car running) is a on wire from the ignition to the hei right?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 05, 08:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I think I'm remebering that the later model cars like your feed power to the whole car off the big terminal on the starter (where the bat cable is) you need that smaller one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode