700R4 Lockup wiring - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 05, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

700R4 Lockup wiring

I am looking this 86 camaro over and find this. I no longer need the computer for anything other than lockup. So the ckt looks like Pos Bat to one side of the made contact of the brake switch. From there a purple wire to trans. This wire supplies batery to one side of the lockup solonoid winding. The battery can be broken by the operation of the brake switch. Accomplished by stepping on the brake. So a complete ckt on this side exists at all times when brake switch is not activated.

Other side of ckt begins with a "fourth clutch switch, which has a contact with ground on it and another contact that makes with this when fourth gear is engaged. A sort of sensor that acts as a relay to supplu a GRD to the computer. Dark green wire.

Now what happens in the computer? Have no idea. If this grd were an normal grd, and I dont know wether it is or not, I could hook it directly to the other end of the coil of the solonoid ( now tan black wire) and activate this lockup every time fourth is activated and the brake is not being used.

WHAT DOES THE COMPUTER ADD TO THIS TO MAKE ITS DECISION? Are the ckts not straight 12 volt and grd style or something? Does the computer have an input from other sources such as throttle position sensor and such? Is there a vacuum sensor I could purchase that would make or break the connection correctly so that lockup would happen and unlock to accelerate and such?

It seems that one could just wire this himself if the system was all battery and ground and one knew where to purchase the vacuum sensor-relay??

Any takers to help me think??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 05, 10:40 PM
Senior Tech

Re: 700R4 Lockup wiring

The computer uses throttle position, vaccuum, and speed to decide when to lock the converter. The one in my truck will lock in drive as well as overdrive. They do sell kits with a speed sensor.

69 RS 355 Tremec 5-Speed 4.11's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode