wire for hei dist??? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 05, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

wire for hei dist???

from the fuse box to dist does wire plug into bat terminal acc terminal or ign terminal....i know ive been told b4 just forgot and now im not sure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 05, 05:08 PM
Senior Tech

Re: wire for hei dist???

It's the IGN terminal. Smokin' weed does not cause memory.........I forgot what I was going to say.

69 RS 355 Tremec 5-Speed 4.11's
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 05, 10:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

For some reason, I don't think GM ever put a fuse in the ignition circuit that powers the coil, at least I haven't seen a schematic yet that had one. Anyway, If you connect the coil wire to the ignition terminal at the fuse box, be aware that the Turn Signal/BackUp Lights fuse will now be protecting the circuit. Shouldn't be a problem, but something to know.

Personaly, I like to crimp a terminal on the new 12 ga coil feed wire and insert it into the main firewall connector where the original resistor wire for the coil was installed. Saves drilling a hole in the firewall to run the new wire to the fuse box, too.

Larry

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 05, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

sounds like a great idea but i need a lil help where is the main firewall connector..color of wire to tap into...i have it tapped into the yellow wire where the wiper motor is now but it seems to be heatin up the wiper motor(gets really hot) not quite sure if that is the problem of the wipers but there not working so i fig thats a problem...btw i am a novice mechanic(and i do mean novice lol)so any help is appreciated but unfortunately i also need explicit directions thank you very much (i am tryin to learn so please be patient)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 05, 10:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

The connector is below the master cylinder. It's a bit of a tight fit. The new coil wire goes on the row closest to the connector attach bolt in the cavity next to the orange wire that powers the heater motor. It's a two piece connector. You will be looking at the connector on the right (pass) side. If the original resistor wire is still in this cavity, it will be a white, woven insulator, with orange and purple tracers. You can get by using a standard female terminal on the new coil wire, just make sure it's still inserted all the way after you bolt the connector to the firewall. The old terminal will look like it's split up the middle part way. You can remove the old connector by using needle nose pliers and squeezing the terminal slightly. That gets the small tang out of the way so you can slide it out from the wire side.

Hope that makes sense!

Larry
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 05, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

got any pics lol i printed whAT YOUR SAYIN AND ILL TRY TO TACKLE IT THIS WEEK(oops hit cap lock) ill keep u informed btw wish me luck ill keep the extinguisher handy lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode