Did the upgrade and won't start at all - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 05, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ozzie

Did the upgrade and won't start at all

Ok, I'm trying to put the finishing touches on a crate 383, CS130 alternator upgrade, power steering addition, and serpentine belt upgrade.

I bought nearly everything MAD Electrical had for sale and followed the directions to the letter. When I went to start the engine, nothing happened. I have power at the ignition switch and ACC works. My electric fan and fuel pump work in the ign-on position but short out when I turn to start.

At the fuse panel, BATT and ACC have power, but IGN never has power. Other than cutting the brown-white resister wire from the warning light (as per the instructions) nothing else was touched in the dash area.

I almost started to pull out the ignition switch, but then remembered that it all worked fine BEFORE the wiring changes, so the problem has to be there vs. a simultaneous ign sw failure.

Sorry for the ramble, but I figured too much info rather than too little. Is anyone else familiar with this kit? Think it's got something to do with the diode in the L connection on the alternator that goes back to the warning light?

'68 Camaro RS
zz383 (2005) rebuilt in 2019
AFR 195s, Quick Fuel 680, 700r4, Detroit TruTrac 3:42s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 05, 06:43 AM
Senior Tech
Brad

Re: Did the upgrade and won't start at all

Call Mark at MAD, I have talked to him many times on the phone and he is more than helpful. I installed the NEW System about 18 months ago and it's the best upgrade I've done. I just ordered the Trunk Mount kit from him. His number is (559)539-7128. Great guy and tech support, he really stands behind his products. Tell him Brad from WA says hi.

Brad
68 Camaro
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 05, 06:21 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

I agree, call him up and talk him through your problem, he will definitely help you figure it out. Tell him that Mike in the Virgin Islands says Hi too. His system is great. I did the changeover about a year ago and love it.

Mike

Currently Camaroless
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 05, 06:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I would look at the start circuit and ignition switch regardless, hard to imagine those charging system changes could have this effect.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 05, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ozzie

Unhappy Re: Did the upgrade and won't start at all

Actually, I've been trying to do that all week. His phone didn't work on Tuesday. It rings at least now, and I've been calling everyday since. No answer. I hope to get some insight otherwise I'm in for a weekend of chin scratching.

'68 Camaro RS
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 05, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ozzie

To put closure on this issue: JimM put me on the right track.

I got into the dash/ignition switch area and stared at the wires. I noticed that the pink and purple wires from the ignition switch were cut and butt connected to the alarm system - which was not working at the time, but I wasn't concerned with either. That got me to thinking that I should see why it's not working.

I discovered that I did the rewiring job to 98% perfection. In the battery area, I connected to ground both the power and ground for the alarm. This Clifford alarm has both ignition kill and anti car-jacking features and kills the whole system if disabled.

I corrected the wiring mistake by connecting the power lug to the battery and she turns over now.

It didn't start right off the bat, and the battery was wearing down. I've got a trickle charger on the battery and will get some friends over tomorrow for the fire up. I figured with the cranking, the timing, the lookout for leaks, the 2000rpm break-in - there was more to do than I could handle on my own.

Here's hoping for a high horsepower Saturday!

'68 Camaro RS
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 05, 06:28 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chester

From experience make sure you have a fire extinguisher handy for the start up.

68 convertible, Grotto blue, 327 TH350,3.08 diff
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 05, 06:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastercar68
In the battery area, I connected to ground both the power and ground for the alarm. This Clifford alarm has both ignition kill and anti car-jacking features and kills the whole system if disabled.
Glad you found the problem!!

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 05, 06:33 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacket
From experience make sure you have a fire extinguisher handy for the start up.
lol... wut if he enjoys burning off his eyebrows!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode