Circuit with two in-line fuses - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 05, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Circuit with two in-line fuses

On my ''68'' by the voltage regulator is a ciccuit with two in-line fuses. It comes out of the harness a 10 guage red wire going into the first fuse it comes out an orange 16 guage wire about 5 inches long that goes into the second fuse and comes out a black with white stripe 16 guage wire that loops back into the harness. I can't find it in any of the wiring diagrams that I have, but I believe it's for the ammeter guage. My question is why would they have to use two fuses in series in one leg of a circuit? Thanks for any information, RonM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 05, 11:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Circuit with two in-line fuses

It sounds like you are talking about the fusible links that normally attach to the horn relay. The inch long black plastic things are actually splices, not fuses. Here's a pic of the harness on a stock 68, with the tape removed. This car does not have factory guages or A/C, if it did, the wires would attach to the horn relay screws.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 05, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

JimM- Thanks for clearing that up for me, I always thought they were fuses. That leads me to another question, I have two other front lighting harnesses for spare parts they both have the two splices like the harness in your picture. The harness in my car also has the same two splices in addition to the the two splices I mentioned before. My question is were those splices only used by GM because it all looks factory and why would they take the horn relay out of the circuit? Thanks for any help, RonM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 05, 03:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I'm not sure why anyone would remove the horn relay, Ron, gues they didn't need a horn? but even then it would make sense to keep it for it's function as a junction block in the power feed system.

Those splices are factory, for the fusible links. The fusible links are just a short peice of lighter guage wire, desinged to burn up in case of an overload. In the pic I posted you can see 2 of them. The black one with the red wire attached is the main feed to the fuebox, the whole car runs off that one wire. The orange one in the regulator connector is the reg's "sensing wire", what it check toi monitor system voltage, the link ensures that a shorted regulator can't take out the entire system. If you had options such as A/C, power windows, or a power convertible top, the harness for those systems would pick up power from the horn relay, and some of those may have been protected by fusible links.

I've never actually seen the wiring on a factory guage car, but the ammeter is really a millvolt meter, it reads the voltage drop across the wire running from the main splice (silver thing where 4 red wires connect together in the pic) to the battery. The wires for that gauge would attach to the horn relay and to the little junction block on the rad support behind the battery.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 05, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Jim I should have worded my question differently, I didn't mean they took the horn relay out of the car, I meant they took the horn relay out of the ammeter circuit. I see on the wiring diagram the black and white wire for the ammeter comes out of the terminal block on the firewall and splices into an orange fusible link and then connects to the horn relay. On my car the orange fusible link splices to another 10 guage red wire identical to the one going to the voltage regulator. There is an additional red 10 guage wire on my car that the wiring diagram doesn't show. There is a hood light on my car that connects to the horn relay, maybe that is the reason for the additional wire. Anyway thanks for your help, RonM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode