Identifying alternator - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 05, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Guess

Question Identifying alternator

This one has BAT, and the R 1 & 2 electrical blades. No GND. It has a black plastic fan.

I'm assuming it's internally regulated as witnessed by the heat sinks on those capacitors inside and the blade layout. A CS130 will have 4 thin pins instead of blades, correct?

I have another one like the alternator shown, except that it mounts 180 degrees from the way this one does, and it has a metal fan.

I already know which type of vehicle to get a CS from over the counter. But how can I tell if the two that I have are 10 or a 12SI? Impossible, right?
These two are only cores, but depending on what my engine harness is setup for will determine whether I replace it, or go straight to a CS conversion. I have two harnesses for the car.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 05, 04:23 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Identifying alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HwyStarJoe
It has a black plastic fan.

I have another one like the alternator shown, except that it mounts 180 degrees from the way this one does, and it has a metal fan......
This one with plastic fan is a 10SI. Steel fans are 12SI.

Clocking of the rear housing can be changed by removing the four "case" bolts and rotating the rear housing to a configuration of your likening.

Yes, CS130's have four pins rather than two blades.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 05, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Guess

OK, that's what I thought about rotating the case for mounting. Read that in past threads.
What amp ratings do the two alternators have? Is that strictly a matter of which vehicle it was designed for, or do 10SI and 12SI units have specific ratings?

Thanks Everett.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 05, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

They have specific ratings for each. It eludes me for the moment, CRS comes & goes...........any parts store should be able to tell you
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 05, 11:00 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Thumbs up Re: Identifying alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HwyStarJoe
OK, that's what I thought about rotating the case for mounting. Read that in past threads.
What amp ratings do the two alternators have? Is that strictly a matter of which vehicle it was designed for, or do 10SI and 12SI units have specific ratings?

Thanks Everett.
Hey Joe;

That's a Delcotron 12SI Alt.* They were available in a couple output amp. ratings.
The best site for info is - http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...elcoremy.shtml - Mark really knows what he's talking about.
The case can be re-clocked to suit your needs and MAD can sell you the internals you may need to get the output you need.

I've converted dozens of cars (lots of Furds - their $hit sticks...) and boats to this alternator - they were the best for years.

Hope this helps;
John M
* Big 'picture windows' in rear case v.s. 3 slots...

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 05, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Guess

Yeah, MAD Electricals site is a WEALTH of information.
Looks like this one is a 78AMP 12SI. Good enough for me! I'll just ask for one from an '85 Firebird when I exchange it.

Thanks guys!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode