Voltage Regulator/Horn Relay/Small Black Cylinder?? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 05, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jonny

Voltage Regulator/Horn Relay/Small Black Cylinder??

Hello again!

Well, I attempted to correct the major grounding issues on my new paint job, and looks like the charging system is non-operational now. Dead battery city!

While the car was still operational, I was seeing very high voltage, 18+V at high RPMs. Also, car would occasionally *click* once when attempting to start. A few turns of the key in the ignition back and forth, then I'd get the starter motor to turn with normal ignition.

I monkeyed with the voltage regulator, attempting to get a better ground, but may have (well, definitely have!!) screwed the charging system.

Here's where I'm at now:

Gen light still illuminates with Key on.
After jump, car runs fine, but only reads 8-10V on gauge.
Gen light goes off after starting engine (with jump).
Lights intermittently work - Maybe one, maybe both, sometimes only on high beam.

Any ideas? Also, I notice a small black cylinder, the size of a thumb, mounted on the horn relay with a strap. It has a small black wire, maybe #18 in size, that (currently) connects to the side of the voltage regulator. This is not on the wiring diagram!!! What is this thing??

Looking for any assistance to get my 69 running properly again!! If it helps, I can get a picture posted. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 05, 04:41 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Voltage Regulator/Horn Relay/Small Black Cylinder??

The cylinder is a noise supressor and the clamp goes around the body and the lead gets attached with the large red wire with the fusible link on the reg harness plug. Don't forget to measure conductivity of the wire to make sure the fusible link is good.

The reg body gets grounded by a pigtail from the regulator base to rad support. Make sure there is a star washer between the electrical lug and body steel to make sure it gets good contact.

The battery gets charged by the large pair of red wires on the horn relay. Usually, the buss bar becomes corroded and needs cleaning. One of the two wires goes across the rad support to a junction block by the battery, then ties in with the positive pigtail on the pos battery cable. Make sure all of these connections are clean as well. The battery ground cable gets attached to the engine on a clean spot and the pigtail gets attached via a star washer on the fender. Clean and good contact.

The headlamps are grounded via black wire pigtail to rad support. Again, star washer between lug and support and a clean connection.

Once engine is running, measure from bat neg terminal to alt case to ensure alt case is grounded, voltmeter will show less than 0.4 volt if connection of grounds are good. Measure from BAT terminal on alt to bat positive post to ensure less than 0.4 volt. Anything more means a high resistance connection from alt BAT terminal to bat post.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode