relays relays relays - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 05, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

relays relays relays

Help! I am upgrading my 67 coupe wiring to handle a multitude of upgrades. I ordered MAD's whole kit, which has relays for lights and starter, I also have two relays for my two fans, two relays for my Vintage Air and a relay for my nitrous. Also have MSD6 with retard box.

With all of this, I am out of room in the engine compartment. Thinking of relocating my battery to the trunk to free up some real estate. I was wondering if anyone has done anything creative to handle all the new wiring.

Should I mount all the relays under the dash or in the engine compartment? Mix them up?

Any help/photos would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 05, 05:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: relays relays relays

How about a bracket to hold them in a verticle row on the drivers side of the rad support, with a fuse or circuit breaker next to each relay and a single power feed for the whole mess. I'm assuming you've done away with the stock regulator, maybe use a matching relay for the horn and include it in the same panel.

you could make the bracket out of heavy guage alluminum, weld a plate over the top to cover it and run all the wires out the bottom.

Another option would be the firewall over the heater box, but I wouldn't put it there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 05, 07:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

Thumbs up Re: relays relays relays

This was my solution, to a more or less, same situation. A Radio Shack plastic box and a multiple fuse holder. Closed relay box & open relay box.

"Our affair with Camaros is a life sentence without the possibility of parole".

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 05, 08:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

my goodness, you did pack them in there, didn't you, Bruno? Looks good, very clean, better than I imagined it would look in that location. Could pass for an ignition box at first glance!

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 05, 08:38 PM
Senior Tech
Jerry Cox

Also if you do not have hideaway headlight you could put them where the relay for the headlights goes, under the front of the driver fender. Good luck Jerry

68 Red with Red & white interior, 383, Offenhauser Crossram, 700R4, Ocala FL
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 05, 09:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

Wink Re: relays relays relays

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM
my goodness, you did pack them in there, didn't you, Bruno? Looks good, very clean, better than I imagined it would look in that location. Could pass for an ignition box at first glance!
Yup, the box came with a metal bottom plate and to remove the relays, one simply needs to unscrew a small allen head screw which holds the upper relay tab. I always keep a couple of fuses, an 1/8" allen wrench and a spare bosch relay in the glove box. Just in case.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 05, 10:02 AM
Senior Tech

I wouldn't mount them under the dash. Keep them as close to the load as possible. For example, a fan relay should be close to the fan. ORENCH's setup looks pretty neat. If you've converted to an internally regulated alternator, the old regulator location will hold at least two or three relays.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 05, 02:05 PM
Senior Tech

When I get closer to assembly on my 68, I've been tinkering with a thought. You know how the new cars have a fuse block under the hood with relays and circuit breakers in them? They also have a big fat battery lead attached to one end. Well I'm thinking of searching the salvage yard for one and wiring the thing up using new terminals. It would be a pretty slick custom / modern way of doing things.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 05, 02:11 PM
Retired
Jim

I had to check for blown fuse on my daughters 93 altima, fuse box at the knee panel under the steering wheel, seperate box next to the battery under the hood and another box on the opposite inner fender with more fuses. pretty good protection it seems like.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 05, 02:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnult
You know how the new cars have a fuse block under the hood with relays and circuit breakers in them? They also have a big fat battery lead attached to one end. Well I'm thinking of searching the salvage yard for one and wiring the thing up using new terminals.
I like that alternative.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 05, 11:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnult
When I get closer to assembly on my 68, I've been tinkering with a thought. You know how the new cars have a fuse block under the hood with relays and circuit breakers in them? They also have a big fat battery lead attached to one end. Well I'm thinking of searching the salvage yard for one and wiring the thing up using new terminals. It would be a pretty slick custom / modern way of doing things.
That is exactly what I plan on doing. Relays, breakers & big honking fuses. Great for fans, stereos, ignitions, halogens, etc. Parts on auto store shelves. No more power wires to the starter and a nice clean OE look.

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode