Newbie Mod in Electrical! - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 05, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Newbie Mod in Electrical!

Hey guys, looks like I'll be the new Mod in Electrical.
Not that there's ever much in here that needs "moderation" but hey, it will be fun anyway.

One thing I'd like to do ASAP is a "basics sticky" similar to what Joe did in Body Shop. I'm thinking a single sticky at the top of the forum, containing links to various tech atricles and other posts, things that will be helpful and things that are asked a lot.

Topics on the list right now include:
Basic electricity (a quick tutorial on how and why it works, voltage, current & resistance, ohms law, etc.)
Get Connected (soldering, splicing, terminals, etc)
Wiring diagrams (will have to check with powers that be, would like to link to Larry's stuff as well as Geezer's assy manual scans.)
What is it and Where is it and What does it do (Pictoral of every electrical componant I can get.)
Trouble shooting the early GM Fuel guage (gotta be the most asked electrical topic of all time!)

If I can find them, I'd also like to put in any links to members sites with good how-to's and info. Some examples of things that are worthy ( but noit electrical...lol) are Brian's 3rd gen steering page and Pozzi's suspension page. CarlC has some good alternator stuff, too.

I'd look for all the help I can get on this. Reusing existing info beats the heck out of reinventing the wheel, in my book. I'll be especially looking for input from Mark Canning, Larry, and JohnZ, as well as Click's endless photo archives. All help will be gratefully accepted.

Finally, I'd like to expand our collective knowledge base on newer cars, that is newer than 69...lol. One example is details on GM's switch from using the horn relay as the main junction block to using the starter lug.

If you have anything to add or offer or suggest, please send me a PM or email, lets not clog up the forum with this stuff, at least not right away...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 05, 10:05 AM
Al
Administrator
Al McKenzie

Re: Newbie Mod in Electrical!

Thanks for taking on the moderator duty for this forum Jim. Sounds like you have a good plan in place already.

Much appreciated by all of us.

Al McKenzie
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 05, 10:21 AM
Senior Tech
Harley D

Congratulations Jim and Good Luck
From the sounds of it we will all be in your capable hands once again.
Game plan sounds great.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."-Dr. Seuss
We learn life's important lessons in kindergarten.

Harley D
'67 coupe 427SBC
60'1.728
1/[email protected]

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 05, 10:22 AM
Senior Tech

For he's a jolley good fellow...thanks Jim, and congrats!

I drafted a how-to article a few months ago, that never ended up as a good article. I started out with some basic stuff and before I knew it, I was writing a book. I need to back through it and split it up into topics. Perhaps with holiday vacation time ahead I can get that done and send it to you for review.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 05, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

git er done, Dave!
One thing we might be able to do is share it out fom my server at work, it has a "groupware" kinda thing that works remore, lemme know.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 05, 07:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Congrats on the mod status Jim! Your past efforts motivated me to tackle my engine wiring. I just finished rewrapping the engine harness today, as a matter of fact. The folks at Mad Electrical have some pretty good articles on their web site. I don't know the proper 'Netiquette" on linking, but it might be worth an e mail to Mark at MAD.

'67 convertible 210HP 327/Powerglide (not anymore!)

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 05, 07:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Congrats!

I'd like to know the difference between AC and DC (not the band).

j/k...

Robert

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 05, 07:39 PM
Senior Tech
Harley D

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."-Dr. Seuss

Harley D
'67 coupe 427SBC
60'1.728
1/[email protected]

Last edited by HarleyD67; Dec 17th, 05 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Oops didn't see the J/K on your post rojo
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 05, 07:44 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Hey that helps a lot.

There you go Jim, one for your archives.

Now does anyone know why they called the band AC DC?

Robert

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 05, 07:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Harley,

That was good stuff even though I was just kidding. Put it back in if you will, seriously.

Robert

TC member #18
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 05, 08:30 PM
Senior Tech
Harley D

No I don't know why they named the band that, but I like there music.

rojo- didn't know anyone saw that. I thought I edited it fast enough. Anyway here it goes.

AC- Generally high voltage low amperage.
DC- Generally low voltage high amperage.

Alternating current or AC electricity is the type of electricity commonly used in homes and businesses throughout the world. While the flow of electrons through a wire in direct current (DC) electricity is continuous in one direction, the current in AC electricity alternates in direction. The back-and-forth motion occurs between 50 and 60 times per second, depending on the electrical system of the country. AC is created by an AC electric generator, which determines the frequency.

What is special about AC electricity is that the voltage in can be readily changed, thus making it more suitable for long-distance transmission than DC electricity. But also, AC can employ capacitors and inductors in electronic circuitry, allowing for a wide range of applications.

Direct current or DC electricity is the continuous movement of electrons from an area of negative (-) charges to an area of positive (+) charges through a conducting material such as a metal wire. Whereas static electricity sparks consist of the sudden movement of electrons from a negative to positive surface, DC electricity is the continuous movement of the electrons through a wire.

A DC circuit is necessary to allow the current or steam of electrons to flow. Such a circuit consists of a source of electrical energy (such as a battery) and a conducting wire running from the positive end of the source to the negative terminal. Electrical devices may be included in the circuit. DC electricity in a circuit consists of voltage, current and resistance. The flow of DC electricity is similar to the flow of water through a hose.

Again sorry for the long post. Just trying to help.

Harley D
'67 coupe 427SBC
60'1.728
1/[email protected]

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 05, 08:36 PM
Senior Tech
Harley D

Hey Jim What do you think? Lets just make this forum one l-o-n-g thread.

J/K

Seriously, I'm really just one sarcastic sob.

Harley D
'67 coupe 427SBC
60'1.728
1/[email protected]

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 05, 08:41 PM
Team Member
Christropher

Glad to have you around Jim! I have a lot of respect for you and the generosity in knowledge you display for your fellow Camaro enthusiasts.

Christropher

...in pieces still.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 05, 08:36 PM
RSS
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojo
Now does anyone know why they called the band AC DC?
It was something Angus or Malcolm saw on the back of their mother's or grand-mother's sewing machine and the rest is history!! Congrats JimM

It takes a fool or an idiot to first criticize! It takes a wise and intelligent man to first ask why!

1969 coupe under going restification (Almost Done!)
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 05, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Congrats, JimM. Hope to read some interesting posts and gain knowledge.

Maybe an "Electrical Tip Of the Day?"

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
Doing a good job is like peeing in your dark pants … you get a warm feeling, but nobody notices
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode