bench test a new fuel gauge - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 05, 04:49 AM Thread Starter

bench test a new fuel gauge

how do I bench test a new fuel gauge ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 05, 08:10 PM
Senior Tech

Re: bench test a new fuel gauge

I use a variable power supply at around 1 volt or less, and ¼ amp or so to check them. You could use an AAA battery for power and a cheap potentiometer on the negative side.

Ron
The “
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An exercise in interchangeability on a Well optioned 67 SS 350 vert.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 05, 11:19 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Did you get the different resistors to try yet ?. You will need those or a variable resistor.

As far as bench checking. The fuel level gauge should not draw hardly anything for amperage so you could get a basic 12V 10A max output power supply.

On the power supply you will have two terminals (12V+ and Ground).

One terminal of the gauge should go to the 12V+ while another terminal on the gauge to ground, and the third terminal on the gauge to the sending unit. You will also have to have a jumper wire from the mounting ring of the sending unit tied to the ground on either the gauge or the power supply.
You must also get the proper terminals on the gauges connected to the correct terminals on the power supply and cannot have them hooked up incorrectly.

I know you have been having problems with your fuel level system and maybe take it to a better stereo shop that does service work and ask if they can bench check it for you (but you will need to identify which terminal goes to what on the gauge and sending unit). Sometimes a fresh head can see the problem you are having and get it corrected. I too sometimes look at things and the problem is right in front of me but sometimes asking another co-worker whats up and he might see it right away and then it clicks in my head.

I wonder too if you don't have a power or ground problem feeding the gauge or maybe some bad jumper cables. I just had a cheap set today give me screwy readings while wiring up some power seats for a street rod and found out the wire that was crimped under the rubber covered alligator clips were loose so I got some thicker wire (16 gauge) and reused the alligator clip ends but then soldered the wire to the clips and they are much better and more reliable now.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 05, 06:31 AM Thread Starter

I orderd a 0-100 ohm resister for testing. Why do you need to ground the mounting ring? It is not grounded in the plastic dash piece. I want to get this figured out as I will be set to check some other gauges.
Thanks !!!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 05, 08:19 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Slow down. What I said was "You will also have to have a jumper wire from the mounting ring of the SENDING UNIT tied to the ground on either the gauge or the power supply."

To complete a circuit you need the return path. With one wire going to the sending unit you need the return ground path back to the gauge or the vehicles ground.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 06, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Okay guys, just got back to checking the group. I wound up doing the bench test as mentioned above. Kept getting wierd readings and finally ohmed my test leads and found a bad lead, I re-did it by soldering the ends. Now they are good but still not getting the proper readings with sending unit (in drivers seat) and new gauge. Driving me nuts, found this site on the net and ordered their fix http://www.fix-a-gauge.com/ . Looks like some sort of in line resister-- when I ohm'd it I read 88 ohms. I pulled the new gauge out of the dash and put this device on the back of the gauge, ran my test leads to the sending unit laying on the seat and Viola--- it now has the correct reading!!!! I never could get the other new gauge to work, no matter what I did so I sent it back to NPD for refund. I then filled the tank up with gas and rehooked everything that I had unhooked. Turned the key and Now read full tank of gas!!
Thanks for all the help guys !!!
Hair growing back in----
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode