67 camaro Charging - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 05, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

67 camaro Charging

I have installed a new Classic auto wire harness in my car..every thing works..accept i have a gen light on..im not sure if its charging or not..dont run it much.still in the works...the car runs with the batrtery unhooked.so i know the alt is puttting out..just dont know if its charging or not..the alternater is an internallly regulated..as per the new wiring system..any thoughts..?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 05, 04:48 AM
Team Member
Christropher

Re: 67 camaro Charging

Use your voltage tester to test. With the engine not running, testing the voltage output on the battery should give you about 11-12 volts. With the engine running, testing the batt. voltage will be in the 14 volt range.

Christropher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...in pieces still.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 05, 07:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

I'd say there is a mis-wire somewhere. It's obvious the charging system is working enough to at least run the ignition. What happens when you put a serious load on the system? Heater motor, high beams, four-way flashers, etc. Does the voltage drop?

BTW, a quick way to see if there is some charging going on is to place a piece of steel (screwdriver) on the backside of the alternator. If there is a magnetic field, then the alternator is working, but more tests might be necessary to insure the alternator can put out its rated amperage.

Larry

EDIT: Also, it's not a good idea to disconnect the battery to see if the alternator is working. Without a battery to help "buffer" any overvoltage, the alternator can fry some circuits. I think that is the best way to describe that. Always use a voltmeter at the battery.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 06, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

battery checks 12.5 volts car off...12.7 car running..and 14 volts at the positive cable unhooked from battery??is this right?
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 06, 05:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

Sounds like it's enough to keep the ignition going, but what is the voltage with a full load? It should be 13-14 volts with the battery connected.

Larry
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 06, 11:32 PM
Senior Tech

Sounds like the field windings aren't being energized and the alternator is putting out voltage from residual magnatism in the coil. What is your setup? Is it a stock alternator with an external regulator? Could be a regulator issue.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 06, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnult
Sounds like the field windings aren't being energized and the alternator is putting out voltage from residual magnatism in the coil. What is your setup? Is it a stock alternator with an external regulator? Could be a regulator issue.
internally regulated alternater.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 06, 02:35 PM
Senior Tech

The field windings are always polorized the same way. So after a while, the armature will develop some residual magnatism that will make the alternator put out but not enough to do any good. But there are other possibilities here.

First, verify your ground is good. With the engine running, check the voltage between the alternator shell and the negative battery post. Should be a very small reading of less than 0.1 volt I'd say.

Can you tell us what style of alternator it is? Is it a 10 or 12SI style, or perhaps a CS130 style? The wiring of each is a bit different. In the case of the CS130, for example, ther should be plastic weather-pak connector on the side with 4 or 5 wires coming out of it. The brown wire is the gen lamp / exciter line, the red wire can either be connected to the B+ terminal or a remote location for remote voltage sensing. If the red wire isn't hooked up you'll have the problem you described. Then of course, there is the big red wire connecting to the battery junction block.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 06, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
The field windings are always polorized the same way. So after a while, the armature will develop some residual magnatism that will make the alternator put out but not enough to do any good. But there are other possibilities here.

First, verify your ground is good. With the engine running, check the voltage between the alternator shell and the negative battery post. Should be a very small reading of less than 0.1 volt I'd say.

Can you tell us what style of alternator it is? Is it a 10 or 12SI style, or perhaps a CS130 style? The wiring of each is a bit different. In the case of the CS130, for example, ther should be plastic weather-pak connector on the side with 4 or 5 wires coming out of it. The brown wire is the gen lamp / exciter line, the red wire can either be connected to the B+ terminal or a remote location for remote voltage sensing. If the red wire isn't hooked up you'll have the problem you described. Then of course, there is the big red wire connecting to the battery junction block.
tHA ALT HAS A PLUG ON TOP WITH A BROWN AND RED WIRE, AND THE BIG TERMINAL IN THE BACKwith the hot and the little red wire going to the plug..something else..the gen light stays on with the plug ogg of the gen, and burns dim with everything pluged up and ignition on only..., but brightwhen car is running..

Last edited by k9ulan; Jan 4th, 06 at 03:44 PM.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 06, 10:22 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9ulan
...the gen light stays on with the plug ogg of the gen, and burns dim with everything pluged up and ignition on only..., but brightwhen car is running..
I presume ogg = off. That doesn't seem right at all, does it. Almost sounds like a miswire. I'm also interpretying this as a CS130 style from your description of the plug. SI type plugs are in back I belive. I know there is a resistance wire shunt between the ACC and gen lamp wire on a stock setup, but that shouldn't make it come on since it doesn't provide a ground. I'd trace that brown wire back to the bulb and ignition switch / resistance wire (brown with a white stripe). Are we talking about a 1st gen?

Dave
========================
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 06, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I presume ogg = off. That doesn't seem right at all, does it. Almost sounds like a miswire. I'm also interpretying this as a CS130 style from your description of the plug. SI type plugs are in back I belive. I know there is a resistance wire shunt between the ACC and gen lamp wire on a stock setup, but that shouldn't make it come on since it doesn't provide a ground. I'd trace that brown wire back to the bulb and ignition switch / resistance wire (brown with a white stripe). Are we talking about a 1st gen?
yes 67
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 06, 02:27 PM
Senior Tech

Still haven't narrowed down the alternator. Check out https://www.camaros.net/techref/ftecref14.html about 1/2 way down the page. Do those pictures look like your alternator? If so, you've got a CS130 style. Let us know how tracing back the brown wire goes.

Dave
========================
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 06, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

good artricle, i couldnt really see if my alternater was there..
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 06, 11:32 PM
Tech Team
Brad Cushman

Back to the harness. This is an engine bay harness that does not connect to the original external voltage regulator mounted up front (drivers side of radiator) correct? I had this problem and solved it with this article.
http://www.chevelles.com/techref/ftecref14.html

I did not have a new harness though. If your new harness is wire colored the same as the original loom, see what the brown wire is doing because it powers your GEN light. If colors do not match, look at the firewall connector and see which terminal the brown wire(s) from the dash side connect to on your new engine bay harness. If you have new dash harness too, look at the connector to the gauge panel. The #11 wire is the one that talks to your GEN light.

http://www.scaldinghot.com/main.htm

Click "Photos" then Click "Installation of Autometer in dash gauges"

Good Luck

Brad Cushman
'67 SS/RS
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 06, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

I had my dash carrrier apart also and ccnged the printe circuit, does any one know if theres anything I could have done, maybe ave it touching the meta or something..is it supposed to touch the metal any where for grounding purposes..? anybody have any schmatics or intalatin instruction for proper instalation of printed circuit board?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode