Painless wiring TPI swap ECM Problems - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 05, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Question Painless wiring TPI swap ECM Problems

I swapped an 84 5.0 4bbl over to an 88 TPI with a "Painless Wiring" Harness stock number 60102. The new aftermarket harness has two fuses next to the ECM location. I have confirmed power to the harness but the fuses don't have power to them. Is it possible the computer is faulty? The body and motor seem to be grounded well so I do not believe that to be the cause. Anyone familiar with this aftermarket harness have any ideas of the problem? I'm in a jam here! Thanks

After further investigation I found that I had misplaced the red wire from my harness to the small terminal on the starter instead of the large terminal. That provided power to the 30 amp fuse but not the 15 amp.

Last edited by 5speed; Dec 31st, 05 at 01:44 AM. Reason: new information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 05, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Re: Painless wiring TPI swap ECM Problems

Also I'm trying to find the start wire from the ignition switch. I have wiring diagrams, but I cant seem to find it. Am I correct in thinking that this is a wire that will only be hot in the start position? And if so it should light up with a test light when you crank the key over if you had a lead plugged in on that wire? I have the wire that comes off the starter solonoid, and if I connect it to a power source the starter will crank, and so I need to find the correct wire from the ignition switch to splice my wire into. It seems pretty simple, but I've spent hours under the dash and at the bulkhead connector trying to find it and still no luck.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 05, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Fifteen amp fuse should have IGN on source power?
Start power is purple wire to solenoid only in START position.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 06, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Evertt#2390. The 15amp fuse does power up when I turn on the ignition. My wiring diagrams show the purple wire just like you said as the start wire. I just cant find it. I spent a few hours alone yesterday with the seats removed, upside down with a test light searching for the start wire. I would probe a wire and turn the key but I could never get the light to come on unless I probed a constant positive wire somewhere. I guess my question would be... Am I looking in the wrong place under the steering column, by the fuse box, and at the bulkhead connector? Does the dash need to be removed to locate the wire? Maybe someone knows an easy way to find it. Thanks again for all your help.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 06, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

I believe the purple wire starts at the ignition switch, goes to the neutral safety switch at the trans selector, changes to purple/white and goes to the bulkhead connector. From there, goes across the engine side of firewall to the pass side, then drops down to the starter solenoid.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 06, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! After replacing a faulty neutral safety switch, things were making sense again. This tech section really makes this site something special, It's great that you can get some help here, and all the fellow Camaro owners out there can chat here. Thanks again techs, I'll be sure to send new members your way.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 06, 01:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Yes, the tech help here is great. I learn daily.

For what you are doing, you may want to peruse the forums & info at thirdgen.org A lot of third gen info and swap info there. Good luck.

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode