Sending unit help - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 06, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Chris

Sending unit help

Can someone tell me how a sending unit works and how it's supposed to be wired? I took this picture last night of what I think is my fuel sending unit. It's tapped into the fuel line, and is scortched on one side from being close to the header. The taped wire coming off the top appears to run to ground. I think there's a second wire running to the sender but the heat damage makes it hard to tell. Also, when I power on the fuel pump the sender makes a vibrating/buzzing sound. Is it supposed to? How concerned should I be about the heat damage to exterior. Any input would be greatly appreciated, and thanks!!!

Last edited by chriss69; Apr 18th, 06 at 02:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 06, 05:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

Re: Sending unit help

Looks like an electric fuel pump. The buzzing you hear is the pump operating. That's my guess! If it is a pump, it needs to be closer to the gas tank. Pumps like to pump, not suck. Plus, the header heat can be a bad situation.

Larry
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 06, 11:30 PM
Senior Tech

I can't tell what that is. What kind of car is this on?

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 06, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Chris

This is a 1969 SS camaro. The hose with the blue couplings is the fuel line, the smaller braided line is NOS. The sending unit (?) is resting on the passenger front wheel well. The headers can be seen on the extreme right side of the photo. This car has been restored and modified (stock interior, digital gauges, 509 BB, etc...) most everything in the engine compartment is new. This piece looks a little older though.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 06, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Chris

I thought that at first too but I've got a Holley fuel pump next to the tank in the back.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 06, 02:39 PM
Senior Tech

Perhaps another picture would help. Looks like a melted beer can, and I can't tell where it is in proximity to the motor.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 06, 04:14 PM

It looks to me to be an after market fuel pressure sensor. It looks as though it is tied into the fuel line at only one point so I don't think it can be a pump as there would need to be an inlet and outlet. I would remove the sensor and find the correct treaded plug for it. Anything that could cause a short would be bad for buisiness.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 06, 04:21 PM
Team Member
Steve

Garage

kind of looks like a oil pressure sending unit like this one from autometer.
http://www.autometer.com/cat_accesso...il.aspx?vid=24

It might be a fuel pressure unit. But get us a better pic to get some perspective on it.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 06, 10:17 PM
Senior Tech

Wonder if someone used an oil pressure sending unit for a fuel pressure sending unit? Does it look like something someone added on or OEM? An oil pressure sending unit would work, but wonder what the guage it was hooked to looked like. Wonder what fuel pressure is being run in the line. Surely it has a pressure regulator.

Dave
========================
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 06, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Chris

With some further research I think I'm getting closer on this one. I think it's a fuel sending unit (Summit P/N NRD S8424) for a NORDSKOG LED digital fuel pressure gauge (P/N M8424). A red wire runs off the top post of the unit to the gauge. A black wire is taped to the side of the sending unit and runs to ground in the engine compartment. The gauge reads around 14psi when the engine is at around 2000rmp. I'm still not sure about the "buzzing" sound it makes or how concerned I should be about the scortching. I've covered it with heat tape for now.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 06, 02:25 PM
Senior Tech

Based on where it is, I doubt it got "scorched" in that location. Probably flopped over against the exhaust at some point, leading to it being secured where it is.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 06, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Chris

It's about 3.5 - 4" from the header. Although the unit is heat taped now, I'm wondering if there is much of an increased risk of shorting or issues w/ fuel and maybe I should replace it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode