gauge pod wiring - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 06, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bryan Hall

gauge pod wiring

jsut ordered the rest of my autometer ultra lites to finish off my pod. i am 19 and no electrician but is there any trick to wiring these up. or do they sell a wiring harness for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 06, 05:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: gauge pod wiring

if they sell a harness, I'm not aware of it.
Exactly which guages did you get? Water temp, oil pressure, volts and fuel, all electric?

All of the guages need ground, power, and illumination.
Easiest way to wire them is to daisy chain the ring terminals, each gets 2 wires except the last one.
If you have an automatic console car, connect the power feed to the pink wire at the backup light switch, the illumination to the gray wires for the shift quadrant lights, and the ground to the front console bracket.
Make it neat and do it right. I prefer to get uninsulated terminals, crimp and solder them, the cover with heatshrink.
Then all that's left is the sending units. The voltmeter don't get one. The fuel guage needs to connect to the tan wire that fed the original fuel guage. If you're killing off the idiot lights (I don't recommend this) you can use the original wires (green for water and blue for oil) and just put the a/m sedning units in place of the origfinals in the engine. If you keep the idiot lights (highly recommended) you'll have to run new wires into the engine compartment for the senders. Easiest place to get them out is the speedo cable hole. Put the temp sender in the front oif the intake by the thermostat if you have room, or in the pass side head between cylinders 6 & 8. For the oil sender, remove the original, and get a couple of 1/8" brass pipe nipples, a Tee and a 90 from the hardware store to put both senders next to the distributor. Lemme know if you need it, I can put up a pic of this arrangement.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 06, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bryan Hall

yes those are the guages i am using all electric and i am doing away with the idiot light b/c i am putting the 5" ultra lites in the dash i bouthgt 3 leds form dse one for each of the blinkers and one for the bright light indicator. will they send me a diagram for the wiring b/c im not rally following exactly what u are sayin i have never been into the wiring on this car and the fuel gauge part is the only one i really am worried aobut doing.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 06, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bryan Hall

and yes i have a automatic console car but there are no lights on the console the owner before me sawpped it form the original 3 speed and put in a automatic with the automatic console...(stupid) so i am gonna try and wire that also while i am at it..that is if i can figure it out
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 06, 06:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

well you should be able to find those wires under the dash.
Setting up the console wiring right in your case would be somewhat awful, and would include getting both a console harness and a dash harness.

Have ou been reading the electrical basics I've been putting up?
Also, you might want to contact larry (67-er) about wiring diagrams.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 06, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bryan Hall

should i buy the wiring harness out of classic ind to wire the lights on my console..it is only $30 and is it that hard to wire..
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 06, 06:51 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

only if you can find a connector under the center of the dash to plug it into, or feel like dealing with hard wiring it. I'm not positive, but I think the "console" and "non console" dash harnesses were different and the connector to plug in the console won't be there.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 06, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bryan Hall

yeah i might try and see if i can hard wire it i mean it is an original ss and all the intereor is original so i think i remeber seeing a plug that wasnt being used maybe it was for the harness. ima see when the guages come in
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 06, 08:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

the connector you're looking for looks like this:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	console connector.jpg
Views:	1546
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	248  

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 06, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bryan Hall

yeah i think that is the plug that always dangels under my dash. maybe i am in luck thanks for the pics ima try the install next weekend
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode