68 Temp Gauge Problem? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 06, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

68 Temp Gauge Problem?

I have factory console gauges, heres my question,When the key is turned to the run position, where is the gauge suppose to be!
Mine goes all the way to the right.{HOT}......Dead Cold my new sender reads 0.857 Kilo ohms. Is this right?.Can someone let me know what there sender reads dead cold.This Is a new Sender I wonder if its the wrong one.

Thanks Ralph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 06, 08:58 PM
Senior Tech
chris

Re: 68 Temp Gauge Problem?

you are going to have to find the ohm range of your gauge, this will determine the ohm range you need for your sender. unfortuantly the aftermarket senders vary tremendously in ohm range. thats why the original ones are few and expensive.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 06, 08:25 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

According to the replacement sender specs at the parts store, at 100 degrees the resistance should be 390 ohms. At 260 degrees, 102 ohms.

It sounds like the dark green wire going from the gauge to the sender is shorted somewhere to ground. Normally, if the wire at the sender is disconnected, the needle will peg to the cold side. When grounded, it will peg to the hot side, like yours is doing. See what yours does when disconnecting the wire.

Larry

Edit: BTW, .857 K ohms is 857 ohms. Sounds like at room temperature that might be what the sender might read.

Last edited by 69-er; Jan 8th, 06 at 08:42 AM. Reason: added info

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 06, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Well I measured the gauge with a ohm meter and came up with 55.2 ohms.When
I take the wire off the sender and put the key to the on position the gauge doesn't move at all,it stays were it is [just a little over center line toward hot].
With the sender wire on it goes to full hot but not as harsh as when i ground the wire.Still with the key in the run position you say it should go over to cold ,then something wrong here.Are 67 and 68 gauges the same,these are from a 67.

Thanks Ralph
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 06, 10:05 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

It sounds like the sender might be bad since it doesn't produce the same harsh pegging as it does when the green wire is grounded. But, you measured 857 ohms at the sender. That should put the needle well down on the cold side. Also, I'm sure the needle should peg to the cold side when the wire is disconnected, at least a soft peg. Nothing is adding up here.
Larry
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 06, 10:07 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

Was there anything done to this system before you started having problems or has it always been this way? I wonder if we have a mis-wire somewhere or bad gauge. (I doubt it, though)

Larry
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 06, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Larry,Iam going to poke around a little more to see what i can up with.See i need this to be right cause the motor was just rebuilt and i didnt fire it up yet. so i want to make sure the temp gauge works correctly.

P.S. I just restored this car have never drove it yet!!!
Thanks
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 06, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

69-er I found the problem,I ran a ground wire between both set of gauges and it works properly,key to run it goes to cold!!!.Ther was no ground wire to the temp and amp gauge.

Thanks guys for all the help. just needed to get my brain jump started.

Ralph
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 06, 10:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

Excellent!!

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode