Dome light switch, again! - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 06, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question Dome light switch, again!

Weird problem. Only had the car a few weeks, noticed right away the dome light wouldn't go out. Here's the weird part. At first, I would close the drivers door, the light would go out for about 10 seconds, then pop back on? This happened over and over again, would open the door, close it, the lights would go out. Wait about 10 seconds, they would pop back on? Figured it had to be the door pin switch, so I replaced both of them, now, when I depress the button, the lights "dim", but do not go out at all? Passenger and drivers switch act the same way? This is really bugging me, I have a battery cable "quick disconnect" so that I can cut the juice on the car every night, which is a great thing to have anyway, but driving down the road with the dome lights on is really starting to irritate me! I know, I know, it's probably a bad ground somewhere, BUT WHERE???? I HATE ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 06, 09:09 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Dome light switch, again!

hey John, start reading my new basics series, and maybe pick up Larry's (69-er) color schematics. Electrical problems are a way of life with near 40 year old cars!

The dome light circuit is a "switched ground circuit. Power is applied to the lights all the time, and they are turned on when the pin switches ground the white wire.

A ground anywhere on the white wire will turn on the lights. The 10 second thing is a puzzler tho... almost like a capaicotr is charging up womewhere or something... One possibility that comes to mind could be a problem with the door buzzer circuit. The drivers side pin switch should have 2 connections on it, one for the courtesy lights, the other for the buzzer. These connections need to be insulated from each other when the switch is "IN" (off)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 06, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question Re: Dome light switch, again!

On the drivers side, there were two wires, but the plastic that holds them together BROKE when I pulled it out! I just rigged them together when I put the new switch in, DOH!!!! OK, so since I'm sure this plastic piece I broke that "isolates" the two switches is going to be one of those impossible to find parts, can't I just wire ONE of them to the switch, to get the dome light to go out? If so, which wire? If not, what are my alternatives? Thanks Jim!!!!!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 06, 09:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

Dang it!!!!!! I had a post all ready to go and it was lost when I tried to post!!! Jim said pretty much what I said, but you might also try disconnecting the head light switch connector, since the switch grounds the white wire too.

Here's the diagram for this circuit:

http://www.myimagehosting.com/album_...aKnA&f_id=2296

Larry
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 06, 09:52 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

yes john, just disconnect the door buzzer wire from the pin switch. Not sure wut color it is, but it's not the white one. The white one is the one you need for the courtesy lights.

That little insulator is part of the switch. It should list for 68 & 69, drivers side only, and have 2 male spade connectors separated by an insulator. I've bought a repro one (from Ricks) and it actually fit.

The other switch lists for both sides of 67 and pass side only 68 & 69, and has a single round bullet connector. I bought 2 of these, one from Rick's and one from D & R, niether fit. They were too long, woulda bent the heck out of my door had I slammed it before noticing. Ended up cleaning and reusing my original.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 06, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I just isolated the "other" wire, which was black, from the white wire. Hooked the white wire up only, same thing. Dome lights on all the time. Rats.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 06, 10:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

Have you tried disconnecting all the switches? Both door switches and the headlight switch connector?

Larry
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 06, 10:16 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

if you disconnect that white wire, do the light go out and stay out unless you open the pass side door?
If so, it has to be that switch.
If not, look to the headlight switch.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode