Alternator Amp? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 06, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
ENP
Senior Tech

Alternator Amp?

I am restoring my car. I plan on going with a 1-wire alternator. My question is what size of alternator do I need. Besides the factory electrical equipment I am using a electric fuel pump and electric radiator fan. I currently have a 100amp chrome alternator and red top optimum battery. Is this enough alternator for the job?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 06, 08:16 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Alternator Amp?

Probably so. Electric fans vary. They can pull as much as 80 Amps upon startup, but most will run steady at 20-40 amps depending on the fan. But it really depends on your alternator.

Many of the 100Amp alternators I am familiar with are the 12SI type - particularly the one wire type. They do a pretty good job, but their idle charge current rating isn't as good as say a CS130/140 alternator. That can be an issue if you're idling in traffic on a hot summer day, and your 100Amp alternator can't keep up with running the fans and other stuff. You'll need to get some specs on your alternator to know for sure.

Any reason why you chose a 1-wire? They are easy to hook up, but you give up some features you would get with a 3 wire setup. Examples are remote voltage sensing and GEN light.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 06, 09:08 PM
Senior Tech
Chris

Cool Re: Alternator Amp?

I would install a nice big 160-amp alternator. Electric fans pull alot of amps at idle and that is the toughest time for everything to work right and keep cool.

Check out this link:

http://www.motorcityreman.com/high-a...-mount-gm.html

Motorcityreman is my source for HP staters and alternators

1967 Chevelle 496BB/TH400/Dana-60 (Show and Go)
1967 El Camino 388SB/700R4/12-bolt posi (Daily Driver)
1967 C10 Short-Wide 496BB/TH400/12-bolt (The Shop Truck)
2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Low Rider

Chris @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 06, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
ENP
Senior Tech

The main reason for going with the 1-wire is the ease of installation. If I do go with the 1-wire hookup I will buy the factory fit alternator conversion harness. I still have the option of intalling my 1-wire alt with the factory 3-wire hook up. It has the "VR" plug in the back of the alternator. My camaro has the factory console gauges. Dnult, what do you mean by having the GEN light feature?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 06, 06:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

I don't get the impression a 1-wire is the way to go in the street, especially with heavy amp loads (fans, etc.)

Read everything here first: http://www.madelectrical.com/

The easy way and electrical seldom work well together. And if the only big draw you have is fans & electric pump, I would think a 100-amp is more than enough, especially if the wiring is right. It seems to work fine for production cars.

Also look into better electric fan management, like the delta controller controller.

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 06, 12:32 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENP
...Dnult, what do you mean by having the GEN light feature?
Using the CS-130 as a reference (others are similar) there is a brown wire that connects to the GEN lamp on the instrument panel. This line excites the regulator and provides a warning lamp if the alternator fails. With a one wire, you'll loose the GEN light.

Remote voltage sensing is the other feature. There is a red wire that can be connected to a remote location to ensure the voltage is regulated at that point. The horn relay is the most likely spot. This setup will ensure the relay bus-bar is regulated while the charge wire to the battery can be allowed to run at a slightly higher voltage. It helps keep the vehicle power constant while avoiding voltage drops in the wiring that would make the battery charge more slowly.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode