Fuse block - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 06, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Fuse block

Installing aftermarket radio. Where and how would you connect the hot wire (ign.) and the wire that needs constant power?
I have original fuse block, and it is very difficult to read the descriptions and what size fuses belong, if someone has a picture or a diagram of the 1968 fuse block , I would greatly appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 06, 01:18 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Fuse block

This is where a test light comes in handy. The fuse block should have 3 or 4 male 1/4" terminals next to the fuses. One was labeled BAT, that's where you get your constant power. One was labeled IGN, which is only hot in the "run" position of the ignition switch. Another was labeled ACC, this is where you get your switched power and it is hot in the "run" and "acc" position. If you can find the original radio harness it will have a yellow 18 gauge wire that can also be used for switched power. There might also be a terminal on the fuse block for instrument lamps. Anything hooked to this should dim with the dash lights.

69 RS 355 Tremec 5-Speed 4.11's
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 06, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

12Run, thanks, I can read all of those areas of fuse block, but when I use the test light, only the IGN, with the key in Run, lights it up, the Bat, and the ACC will not light up the test light at all , either way I have it.
What gives?
All help very appreciated.
Almost forgot, the clock, lighter fuse blows just as soon as I put it in, sparking and such, if I disconnect the neg. on battery, then put it in, then reconnect neg. cable, it blows too. ??????

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 06, 02:07 PM
Senior Tech

If I remember correctly the lighter fuse feeds the BAT terminal. Look behind the ashtray for an orange wire. It should be connected to the cig lighter. There may be a short in the wire or the lighter. Check for bare wires or terminals grounding to the chassis. If it's connected try disconnecting it. The ACC terminal might be fed by the radio fuse. Probe both fuse clips with the testlight and the key on. Sometimes the clips get corroded and even though the fuse is good there's no contact from one side to the other.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 06, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I unhooked the lighter completely, there is a light orange wire, I had it plugged into the back of the lighter, now the connecting end is round, and it plugs onto that threaded screw type thing protruding out the back right???
Reason I ask is, there is another place on back of lighter that is flat(like a quick connect type), is this the correct place for the lighter to be powered? If so, a dark orange wire is way over by the glove box that is not hooked to anything and has the quick connect female end. Then theres a yellow wire behind the ashtray with a female quick connect type end also, is this the radio one you referred to earlier?
This is so confusing. Especially trying to write it out.
Thanks for your help getting this solved.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 06, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I unhooked the lighter completely, there is a light orange wire, I had it plugged into the back of the lighter, now the connecting end is round, and it plugs onto that threaded screw type thing protruding out the back right???
Reason I ask is, there is another place on back of lighter that is flat(like a quick connect type), is this the correct place for the lighter to be powered? If so, a dark orange wire is way over by the glove box that is not hooked to anything and has the quick connect female end. Then theres a yellow wire behind the ashtray with a female quick connect type end also, is this the radio one you referred to earlier?
After I unhooked the lighter completely, and had the neg. cable at battery unhooked, I put another 20A fuse in, and when I went to place neg. cable back on, the fuse blew again. When I checked it with test light, the clock/lighter side lit up the tester and the Courtesy side did not. And you are right about the lighter fuse feeding the BAT terminal, because I put another fuse in the radio one, (which hasn't blown yet) and the ACC lit up on tester, I just need the BAT one to work, and keep the clck/lighter one from blowing.
With the courtesy side not getting power, what would you suggest now???
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 06, 01:39 PM
Senior Tech

Let's start with the yellow wire. Use your test light to see if it has power with the key in ACC position then turn the key to off and see if it goes out. Pull the radio fuse and see if the light goes on with the key on acc. If it does not you found that one.
The orange wire for the lighter goes on the round terminal. The flat terminal is for grounding. The old metal dashes usually don't require a seperate ground so that's probably why there's no wire hooked to it. I forgot about the courtesy lights being on the same fuse as the lighter. The dome light, glove box and floor lights if you have them are all powered with an orange wire. The lights are switched on and off with the ground. The dome and floor lights have a white wire connected to the door jam and headlight switches. This is how they're grounded. If the orange wire is pinched or rubbed through and touching metal anywhere it will blow the fuse. If you remove all the bulbs in these lights you can check for a short by removing the fuse and connecting the alligator clip on your test light to the CLK/LTR side fuse clip and the probe end to the CTSY fuse clip. If the test light comes on bright you have a dead short somewhere. Checking these wires can be a pain, but you just have to start at one end and work your way to the other. If your car has a trunk light that's a good place to start. You'll have to take out the lower back seat and rocker panel cover to trace it. The dome light wires go up through the windshield pillar if I remember correctly. Good luck and be patient.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 06, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks 12Run , I'll let you know what I find.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode