High vs Low Beam... why not Both? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 06, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

High vs Low Beam... why not Both?

I just replaced the headlights in my '69 with 9007 Halogen conversions. At the same time I rewired them with relays and large gauge wire so that they get full voltage right off the horn relay.

I was thinking that with a simple diode I could easily rig it so that when the high beam element is on, both high and low circuits run (ie: both elements of the lamp run when high beams are on).

Other than perhaps heat in the lamps, is there any compelling reason -not- to do this?

Thanks,
Dave

---------------------------
1969 RS/SS 396 Camaro [MPFI Supercharged 502 Under Construction]
2007 427 Z06 Corvette
1969 Pontiac 2+2 427/390
2003 CL600 BiTurbo Renntech Stage III (635hp - [email protected]) [Sold!]
2006 Range Rover Eaton Supercharged
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 06, 11:11 PM
Senior Tech

Re: High vs Low Beam... why not Both?

well as long as the housings arent plastic i would not worry about it and just install the diode so both highs and lows are on at the same time

on another note, how do the conversions compair to the standard sealed beam headlights? i was thinking about doing that but some one told me that there was not much difference
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 06, 07:22 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

I would also measure to see how much current the headlight requires with the diode and then use one a little larger than the measurement. It seems to me years ago I checked a set of regular lights on my car and each of the high beam took about 6A or so.
Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 06, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

But the diode wouldn't drive the headlight, just the little magnet in the relay, right?

---------------------------
1969 RS/SS 396 Camaro [MPFI Supercharged 502 Under Construction]
2007 427 Z06 Corvette
1969 Pontiac 2+2 427/390
2003 CL600 BiTurbo Renntech Stage III (635hp - [email protected]) [Sold!]
2006 Range Rover Eaton Supercharged
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 06, 10:41 AM
Senior Tech
Steven

You would still need to look what other accessories you may be running simutaneously.... A/C ??? Stereo/amp ??? Some of the older cars had like 37 AMP alternators ... If this applies to you, I would look to upgrade the alternator ... Also, there are restrictions on how bright headlights can be ...you may need to check this... Plus, if I did this, I would monitor it if I ever drove any length of time with both High/Low to see if heat had accumulative kind of affect ... And, I would be interested to know if a lot of heat would eventually cause the lens to discolor ... ??? Just some thoughts ...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 06, 11:43 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl
But the diode wouldn't drive the headlight, just the little magnet in the relay, right?
yup thats right as long as you put the diode in the wires from the switch to the relay not after

and thats a good point, you should have an upgraded alternator

on the heat issue, most of the time when I have my headlights on im driving fast like 50+, dont you think that air flow would cool them enough?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode