Remote Lock - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 06, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Remote Lock

Ok, My 84' z28 had remote locks put on it before I got it. Well, few months later, the locks went nuts and kept unlocking my doors. Obviously that was no good, with a $600 stereo system inside. So I disconnected the locks. I assume the locks got a short in it, but I have no clue where the Remote lock module is. I'm not sure the correct word for it, but how I would say the " Main Control." Could anyone help me to find it? I have checked the doors, couldnt find anything. I'v ripped out my head unit and checked behind their, but no luck yet. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 06, 10:03 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Re: Remote Lock

If it's an aftermarket system most control brains (modules) are under the dash by the column. Depending on how well the installation was you may be able to tell the aftermarket wiring from the factory wiring.
Some door lock modules are about the size of a cigarette pack.
I would also look to see if they added aftermarket actuators (the part that locks and unlocks the doors) and look for those wires coming in through the door grommet tube in either kick panel. If you find them, trace them down to the control module.
Sometimes too with factory locks you have to use the wiring under the dash on the passenger side. So you might have to check both sides.

If the aftermarket actuators are a 5 wire design they are made to where if one is unlocked by being pulled up or by pushing it down it sends a signal to the other one to do the same thing. Sometimes on those systems an actuator may be bad or have water in it and "thinks" that someone is locking or unlocking the door but it is actually a short circuit problem.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 06, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Where can I find the Hotwire to the module (brain) And what fuse controls it? This way, I can rid of its power and keep my battery from going dead everyday. ( hopefully )

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 06, 08:51 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BlueZ
Where can I find the Hotwire to the module (brain) And what fuse controls it? This way, I can rid of its power and keep my battery from going dead everyday. ( hopefully )
The only way to find the hotwire is either by knowing what is stock on the car and try removing any wires that are not original or find the aftermarket module. Some modules will have a fuse on the module itself or inline on the wires or be tapped into a factory fuse. Sometimes I've tapped into the frontside of a fuse block, other times I've tapped into the backside, or gone out under the hood to make a connection or to something under the dash. There are a lot of places to pick up power for things but you have to watch what wires you tap into and what they can handle and what the added device needs.
Once you find the module chances are it has a plug on it to where just unplugging it disconnects the power, ground, outputs to the solenoids in the doors, etc.

There is no crystal ball that can say where an aftermarket piece is at in a vehicle. A person just has to start looking or pay someone to find it for them.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 06, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Here is a link to a couple pics i took. since I can't add attachments. http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f93/Theoz28/Dash.jpg And sorry for the Dirty Windshield.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 06, 09:32 AM
Senior Tech
Steven

If you have the remotes to operate the system, the problem can be your remote ... If you have a separate button for lock and unlock, the unlock button can be damaged or stuck ... If you use a single button to lock/unlock, then your locks should cycle, not just unlock ... Still, take the battery out of the remote and see if the problem persists ... If you don't have the remotes, you need to do some tracing ... Lock under the dash for inline fuses ... maybe even tucked behind glove box area ... Refer to a wiring diagram ( you can check out Haynes books from library ) to get colors if you have factory locks ... If aftermarket, like Jim said, trace the wires coming from door into kick panel area ... you may also look for relays, like the 30 amp kind used in various electrical add-ons ... And, look for any additional hot wires coming off your battery ... The stereo amp is 1 you may find ... htis will be larger than other wires except batt cable ... Look for any other than runs into the interior ...
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 06, 04:13 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Quote:
Here is a link to a couple pics i took. since I can't add attachments. http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f93/Theoz28/Dash.jpg And sorry for the Dirty Windshield.
Well at least you could have dusted underneath the dash top.

The system will not be under the dash top (and is not in the pictures that I can see). You need to be looking UNDER the dash.

Under the steering column and under the dash there may be a plastic cover that is held in place with something like 7MM screws or push-in tabs. Remove the underdash cover to where you can see the bottom side of the steering column. This is the area I would concentrate looking at.

Jim

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 06, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Last edited by 2BlueZ; Jan 15th, 06 at 01:35 PM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 06, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I got some more pics for you Jim...... First, WTF is this? lol I found it http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f1...undershot2.jpg

And Second, can you see the module? I have no clue what it looks like. http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f1...undershot1.jpg
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 06, 05:15 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

I wonder if another owner put that on the car ?.

The box with the white wire tie on it is quite possibly the brain for the door locks (or is an alarm with door lock outputs). The three relays could be one for lock, the other for unlock, and the third for something like a trunk release or starter interupt.
Try unplugging the connectors going into the box wire tied up with the white tie and see what happens.
When you get the module down see if there are any marking on it as to manufactuer and/or model. This might be able to help with tracking down a wiring diagram or possible service to the unit if needed.
Jim

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 06, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Re: Remote Lock

Ok, I have finally removed the Device from my car, a tag on back labels it an Rf. Receiver. Is this the remote locks do you think? It has a serial number, model number, and code. Made in USA. ( if you care )
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 06, 08:18 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Quote:
Ok, I have finally removed the Device from my car, a tag on back labels it an Rf. Receiver. Is this the remote locks do you think? It has a serial number, model number, and code. Made in USA. ( if you care )
RF Reciever means it recieves a radio frequency signal. It may have the relays inside for the door locks.
Do you have the remote control for the system ?. If so and it locks and unlocks the doors, unplug the RF reciever and see if it still locks and unlocks the doors. If it doesn't then you know that remote goes to that reciever but like I said there is also three relays in the picture that could be external relays that are geting a signal FROM the RF reciever to lock and unlock the doors. If the external relays are wired to the locks when you use the remote to lock the doors, one relay will click (and you can also have your hand on it to feel which one vibrates to narrow down which relay is what) and then if the remote is used to unlock the doors another one of the three relays will click.
With the doors locking and unlocking, try unplugging the RF reciever under the dash and see what happens.

Yes, a model number would help, not just saying it has one, and there may be info online as far as wiring instructions to help trace things down.

Jim

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 06, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Smile Re: Remote Lock

Ok ok, The remote stopped working, I have plugged all of the locks back in, and they aren't going nuts anymore. I charged my battery to a full 100% and i'm going to see if it's drained or not tommorrow. If so, I've got more issues, if not, it was just the Receiver. If you want the model numbers, i'll get them to you on the 22nd around noon. ( central time. ) I tried to look them up, but i couldn't find anything about it. Maybe you'll have some better luck, if you want to try.

I still can't figure out what that green tag is. oh well. lol
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 06, 12:11 AM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Battery dead in your key fob or remote?

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 06, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Harrison
Battery dead in your key fob or remote?
No, the Battery is not dead, or low.

Ok Jim, Model # 05-1994 ( looks like a date to me. )
Serial # A 01779
Code # 124510

Made in U.S.A.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode