Starter motor help - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 06, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Starter motor help

Hi folks,
Just fininished installing my 383 SB with a 168 tooth flywheel and I went to install the starter I have from my old engine (307) that had a 10.5" flywheel
my problem is my starter does not even fit in the hole in the clutch inspection cover, the nose is too large in diameter. and the new covers hole is round where as the old inspection covers hole is round with a flat on one side, to match the starter. The bellhousing and inspection cover are from Keisler ( it's their repro 621 bellhousing)., Did Delco make different size noses for starters? the part number on the one I have is 1108759 8R17 4
I was thinking of an aftermarket starter with reduction, and less weight, any ideas on that?

Any help would be great, I really want to fire this thing up
Thanks
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 06, 03:39 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Starter motor help

You'll either have to do one of two choices:
1. Get a starter for a large flywheel/flex plate, 14 inch, ie, 168-tooth
2. Get a starter nose from the dealer for a large flywheel, 14 inch, and swap noses on the present starter.

GM does make/market OE mini-starters for the LT1 & LS1, I have read. Whether they fit or not, I don't know. Others here have used Summit's store brand of mini-starter with good results.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 06, 11:54 AM

JEFFMB:
EVERETT#2390 is correct, you will need to get a starter for an 11" flywheel. The starter for the 153t f/w has a different offset and as you found out, will not fit into the bellhousing. Yes you can even get a different starter nose for the starter you currently have. I do not know the cost though.
Please, if we can be of further assistance, call or e-mail me.

Richard
Tech Support
Keisler Engineering
[email protected]
865-609-8187 ext. 201

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 06, 11:25 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Send a message via Yahoo to go2fast

I had this problem. I went to Autozone and bought a rebuilt for a '77 V8 4spd Nova for $35 (they even had it in stock!) and gave them the old one as a core. Works great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode