69 Camaro Wiring - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 06, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Lightbulb 69 Camaro Wiring

I bought this car as a rolling body and wonder how to wire it up. I know many have used the American Autowire and Painless wiring products, but I would like not to have to splice the connectors, bulb housings and such to just straight wires. Does this make sense??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 06, 08:24 PM
Senior Tech

Re: 69 Camaro Wiring

If you're looking for a "plug and play" type setup, M&H ( www.wiringharness.com ) and American Autowire Factory Fit (vs. their Update series, which I think is the one you are thinking of) are OEM type harnesses, ready to be routed throught the car and hooked together.

You'll need to figure out what your plans are for the car (gauges vs. warning lights, manual vs. automatic trans, whichengine, etc.) before you order. Be prepared to spend around $800 for all the various harnesses (front lighting, engine, dash, rear harness).

Then you need the Assembly Instruction Manual (AIM) for your car. It will show where the various harnesses route and are attached/secured.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 06, 08:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Hi stmeljes

The Factory Fit OEM harnesses work fine. All the connectors are terminated. You just plug everything in! It fit perfect and worked A-OK on my '68. Recommended.

Like Eric said, be sure to choose the right configuration of your harness (gauges, auto/manual, etc.).

-Steve

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 06, 10:32 AM
AAW

...and if you have any questions about waht will work with your project to achieve the desired outcome - call us! Our tech service is free... We're here to help.

800-482-WIRE
~Theresa~
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 06, 12:59 PM
Senior Tech

I am not endorsing any of the aftermarket wire companies but, I've used M&H wiring in two of my cars so far and never had to modify any of the wiring.

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Camaro buds until the end!!!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 06, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

t-bone.
Did you buy through M&H or American Autowire? Thanks for everyones reply Now where do I order an assembly manual from?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 06, 08:52 PM
Senior Tech

The Factory-Fit harnesses that t-bone installed and I mentioned are made by American Autowire, and are available from them (the post above from camarocopo is Theresa from AAW. If you call that number and ask for Ray or Don, they can set you up) or from various Camaro vendors like Rick's or Ground Up. Rick's prices are pretty good, and AAW will still provide you all the tech support you need.

M&H is good as well. Get their phone number off their site, call and ask for Ken Pettey. He will steer you right as well, and will cut some off the prices if you are wiring a whole car.

Both AAW and M&H can and will "modify" the OEM style harnesses for upgrades like use of an internally regulated alternator and HEI, if you have anything like that.

The choice may come down to where you are located. M&H is in CA, AAW is in NJ. Prices and the products are fairly equal, so shipping may be a factor in the decision.

The AIM is also available from places like Rick's and Ground Up, for around $25. I bought the unbound version, punched it and threw it in a 3-ring binder. I use it so much it has easily paid for itself.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 06, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

WOW, Thanks for all the help. I'll get started on it right away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode