autometer fuel gauge wiring - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 06, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bryan Hall

autometer fuel gauge wiring

i am gettin away from the stock in dash fuel gauges... i bought the 2 1/16 ultral liet p/n 4314 which is supposed to be the one i need...my question is..how do i wire it can i jsut unplug the wires from the in dash stocker and plug them in the back of my new one...please help..i plan on puttin the 5" tach in the place of my indash fuel...

My car pics...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

dallas car show pics plus some of the cars i am building at work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 06, 10:39 AM
Senior Tech
Harley D

Re: autometer fuel gauge wiring

Yes that gauge is already set up for a standard GM sending unit. All you need to do is remove the factory wiring from the old gauge and adapt the wires to your new one.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."-Dr. Seuss
We learn life's important lessons in kindergarten.

Harley D
'67 coupe 427SBC
60'1.728
1/[email protected]

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 06, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bryan Hall

ok if i remember right the tan is the one for the fuel..and the other 2 is red and black....just making sure it is that easy..thanks

My car pics...

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 06, 01:27 PM
Senior Tech

tan is from the sender, yes
and dont forget about lights for the gauge
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 06, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bryan Hall

yeah true....what is the easiest way to wire all 4 gauges without haveing a mess of wires. i dont want to have 2 grounds and 2 pos plus the sender wires going to each gauge..this was what i am thinking and tell me if it is bad......getting 2 grounds and 2 pos...send them to one gauges, and then from one gauge to the other for the guages to work...then do the same for the lights..so i would only have 4 wires coming to the gauges minus the wires needed to the senders...i hoe this is not confusing its the best way i know how to explain it..so basically the wires just go from one gauge to the other?

My car pics...

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 06, 03:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Each guage will get a ground, power, and illumination. Wire them in a daisy chain, with 2 wires in each single crimp connector (except the first one)

If you have an automatic car, you can pick up everything you need in the existing console harness.
Attach the ground wire to the u-bracket that holds the console to the floor in front.
Attach the power wire to the pink wire for the nuetral safety switch.
Attach the illumination wire to the gray wire that goes to the shift quadrat lights.

Then all that is left is running separate wires for the sending units.

And yes, the tan wire if the fuel sender.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 06, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bryan Hall

ok sweet jim thats the word i was looking for dasiy chain...well i dont know if i have the factory harness under there but i do have 3 of those cheap auto gauges under the dash so i will just pick up all my wires from there...thanks guys...and one more thing...were should i mount the huge electric oil press sending unit..my mech one goes to the back of the block behind the intake but i dont know how the huge elect sender will look...what is everyone else doing..

My car pics...

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 06, 04:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

Thumbs up Re: autometer fuel gauge wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by importkiller69ss
one more thing...were should i mount the huge electric oil press sending unit..my mech one goes to the back of the block behind the intake but i dont know how the huge elect sender will look...what is everyone else doing..
I instaled mine behind the intake, but had to use one of these 1/8 npt/45į elbows, so it doesn't interfere with the ignition housing.

"Our affair with Camaros is a life sentence without the possibility of parole".
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 06, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bryan Hall

where did you get that.....i have the msd billet dist....would it interefere with that......what is the p/n and price on that elbow

My car pics...

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 06, 05:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

that elbow probably came from the local ace hardware. Check their fitting section, the stuff you're looking for will be labelled "1/8" pipe" On mine, I kept the idiot light, so I put a 2" nipple into the block, then a tee (sideways) and a 90 on the side of the tee, that left me 2 fittings sticking straight up, the a/m sender in one and the idiot light sender in the other.

I's STRONGLY recommend you keep the oil idiot light functional. We're not always looking at the guages, a bright red light is hard to miss.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 06, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bryan Hall

well i will be puttin the 5" tach and speedo into my car and dont want to hack up alot to keep it original so i will be just pulling the whole bezel out idiot lights and plastic and all and installing the 5" gauges with just 3 lights blinkers and brights....but however is this a light i really need to have if so are there any more....

My car pics...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode