67 Ignition Cylinder Removal - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 06, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Grant

Question 67 Ignition Cylinder Removal

How do I remove the ignition cylinder on my 67? After doing a search here in the forums, I found a post about removing one on a 68. It mentioned putting something into the small hole next to the keyhole, while turning the key to accessory. But the key won't turn to accessory even without something in that small hole. I tried some wd40 but still no luck. Should this method work on my car? Or maybe ithe cylinder is broken? It turns to run and start just fine.

Thanks in advance

Pexsa
'67 SS350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 06, 04:01 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: 67 Ignition Cylinder Removal

Use a paper clip, push in clip, and unscrew cylinder from the ACC position.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 06, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Grant

Is there a trick to get it to the ACC position? I think the cylinder may be broken or something. I never drove the car so I'm not sure if this worked before or not.

Pexsa
'67 SS350

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 06, 03:14 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Book reads to turn CCW from the ACC position. You may have to 'jiggle' the key to get to ACC.

Its got to be ACC position. When replacing the whole switch, remove the bezel from the outside, then switch will drop out from behind the inst panel.

Unhook battery first.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 06, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Grant

Oh, maybe I didn't use the right terms, I'm a bit of a novice automotive wise (but ready to learn). What I want to do is remove the entire switch, so they can media blast and repair the dash. I was able to unscrew the bezel out until it was real loose but then it gets hung up at the very front plate where the key goes in. Maybe I don't need this ACC trick then? I'm just afraid I'll break the bezel if I apply too much force.

Pexsa
'67 SS350
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 06, 07:32 AM
Team Member
Christropher

I'm pretty sure you have to take the ignition cylinder out before the bezel will come all the way off to pull out the entire assembly from the back. The only way to get that cylinder out is to turn the key to the ACC position, insert the pin in the hole, you'll feel a pin inside depress and pull the cylinder out. You may have to keep jiggling the key to get it to turn to ACC as it could be just stuck or broken inside, be liberal with the WD40. Once you get it to the ACC position, make sure you stab around in the hole with your paper clip to make sure you're hitting the pin that depresses. If you get the cylinder out, unscrew the bezel off and just push the assembly through the hole. If you want it completely removed, unhook the battery as said above and then pull the switch down below the dash (carefully), and use a small flat head screwdriver to press in the 3 tabs that hold the connector to the switch.

If you just can't get it into the ACC position, you're very limited on options. In order to remove mine, which I didn't have a key for at all....I had to drill out the cylinder and that was a pain in the arse.

Christropher

...in pieces still.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 06, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

If you're removing the whole switch, you'll find a notch for the anti-rotation key on the switch body, this stops it from turning when screwing on /off the bezel nut.

You can reach around and finaggle the switch body using the notch to clearance the switch with cylinder installed. You can bend inward a side of the notch and "screw" out the switch body using the notch for the cylinder clearance.

'
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 06, 12:18 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Don't know if mine is different, but it wasn't that hard to take off. W/o key in in the ignition, I simply unscrewed the first "ring". No indents that I could see that I needed to push. The second "ring" with start and ACC on it simply slid off as I pulled the ignition from behind the inst. panel. Perhaps if yours isn't coming all the way off, it was cross threaded when installed. Hope you get it off.

Mike

Missing my Camaro!
See Profile Pic:
67 Camaro 327 4speed (LS1/T56 purchased - awaiting install)
2010 Summit White/Inferno Rally 2SS
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 06, 03:14 PM
Senior Tech
David

Hi Guys
I need to replace the entire switch. I have removed the bezel and the cylinder. Now from where is the easiest way to disconnect the wires and replace the switch? Down of the dash or some were else? Steps to be followed?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 06, 03:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

"easiest" would be from the side, with the dash carrier removed. Assuming it needs some work anyway, now's the time.

Otherwise, your on your back under the dash, pull it down as far as the wires will let it, and try to use a small screwdriver to release the 3 clips that hold the connetor on. Or get the connector off while the ignition is still tight to the dach, might be easier.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 06, 07:02 PM
Team Member
Christropher

Disconnect your battery first. You slip a screwdriver in between the contacts accidentally and you're going to short something. Remember the ignition wires are always live.

Christropher

...in pieces still.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 06, 08:11 PM
Senior Tech
sonny

Pexa, sounds like the bezel is getting hung up on the stainless face, that covers the cylinder. i had to pop that off first. small flat screw driver did the trick for me. hope this helps ya out. sonny

67 RS/SS with matching engine, tranny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode