alternator and distributor help - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 06, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

alternator and distributor help

I purchased a '68 Camaro w/ nice interior and body/paint last fall but the engine (350/5.7 L) is in need of improvement. I had a '68 when I was 16 years old but I didn't do any of the maintenance or upgrades, so I am fairly ignorant on some subjects. We plan on driving the car regularly in the summer ( I live in Alaska), so I am just buliding a street car. Anyway, I need a carburetor (leaks badly), distributor (just an upgrade), and alternator (old one is shot, also upgrade) just to get driving again. Questioin #1: my alternator was mounted on the passenger side, so does that mean it's a 350 from '69 or later? Question #2: external regulated alternators I look at on web sites all say for '72 and newer 350 motors, what 60-100 amp (chrome) three wire alternators will work for my 350? Question #3: I already removed the alternator and carburetor when I started to read about removing the distributor and when I went to remove it it was already loose (could easily move it from side to side), if I mark the rotor right where it sits now then remove the ditributor, will I still be close enough to get it running when everything is put back together? Sorry about the length, Im learning. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 06, 04:16 PM
Team Member

Re: alternator and distributor help

The passenger side alternator is a '69 or later item. You would have a long water pump with this combination. I guess the easiest way to tell is if there is a gap between the water pump and the timing cover. if it almost touches 1/4" or less it is a short pump. I don't know about chrome 3 wire alternators. I think distributor will be close enough and would work if you put it in exactly as removed. if it was running before. You will need to set the timing afterwards.

TTFN
Mat

SSCARGO
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 06, 04:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Summit sells thier own line of both internal or external regulated alternators, chromed. Should work and fit, but haven't used them.

Internal regulator alternators have a wiring connector that looks like this --
These were not standard and require some rewiring to use.

External regulated alters were standard and have a connector that looks like this ll

There would be a square black voltage reg on the drivers side of the rad support. Most all of this is pretty similar to the 'velles, so other than that someone has switched your car from a drivers side to pass side alt, it's all pretty chevy normal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 06, 06:34 PM
wdf

Make your life easy and put on a one wire alternator and stop worrying about the regulator
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 06, 07:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

many have had difficulties with the one wire. Also, you give up "remote voltage sensing" and also lose your gen light function.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 06, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I am definitely sticking with the 3 wire alternator.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 06, 06:42 PM
Tech Team
Tom

Thumbs up Re: alternator and distributor help

I converted mine to a 3 wire alt. Make sure that you install a diode in the circuit going to your gen light, otherwise your engine might not turn off. I learned this the hard way. You can clean up your engine compartment, especially all the wiring to the regulator. Good luck
Tom
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 06, 07:19 AM

Unhappy Re: alternator and distributor help

I've seen several posts mentioning the addition of a diode in the problematic alternator circiuts---as seen in the post from camarosrlyf. How and where do you buy a diode? Specs? Part numbers? Installation photos available?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode