Used Body Control Module (BCM) & VATS - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 06, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Used Body Control Module (BCM) & VATS

Thanks for my last post I was able to get the right used BCM on ebay. Now the only problem is that I don't have the right VATS chip in my key. I know they make an Interrogator that will read the Ohms your key puts out and the Ohms your BCM needs. I really don't feel like buying an Interrogator for $150 or buying all 15 keys and play the guess what key starts this new car game (which might be a good game show). Does anyone out there know of anyway I can find out the Ohms my BCM is looking for...or even a way to reset the BCM? Thanks for your help guys!

P.S. It's a 1997 Camaro RS V6....No V6 jokes

Last edited by blt65; Feb 1st, 06 at 01:18 PM. Reason: More info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 06, 03:51 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Re: Used Body Control Module (BCM) & VATS

I know they used to (and may still do so) sell a kit with the 15 different resistors in a package for bypassing the VATS systems for remote starting systems. I don't know what the values are but you could disconnect the 2 wires that go to the tumber and rig up a jumper setup to where you can try each of the 15 different resistors and see what happens. I believe there is also a protection device in the BCM to where if you have the wrong value, you have to wait for a period of time before trying the next one. I "think" it was a minute between each try but I would check and also see if after the 4th or 5th one the BCM doesn't make you wait 5 minutes or more before the next try. Some systems go into added layers of security to where the more wrong things you try the longer the wait period becomes.
When I do the bypass I measure the factory key and you can get by with the small wattage resistors from places like radio shack. I think too you can have a variable from the factory resistance of about 5% to 10% and is still recognizes them as the right value.
Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 06, 08:54 PM
Senior Tech
John

Re: Used Body Control Module (BCM) & VATS

When I upgraded my 2002 V6 Camaro with power door locks & windows I needed to crack the Vats code for the BCM I bought. (I bought one off of Ebay also) I bought the set of resistors that SOA-Nova mentioned from this place http://www.autotechs.com/items/item1300.htm The kit included all 15 resistors. I used the trial and error method and had to wait about 10 minutes between attempts. Once I found the right resistance I went to Ace hardware to have the key cut. Do a Google search for "Vats Bypass" you'll find tons of info....Jb

Beat it to Fit, Paint it to Match!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode