American Autowire harness - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 06, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

American Autowire harness

I bought a wiring harness from EZ Wire. I followed the directions and diagrams to the letter and my car stays running and no headlights or parking lights. The plugs that go to the ignition are factory wired. Now I'm looking at an American Autowire harness. Has anyone bought one and installed it? If so, how was the install? Thank you for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 06, 02:55 PM
Team Member
Christropher

Re: American Autowire harness

You're going to replace the harness you just bought? Granted the American Autowire is awesome according to other folks here, but do you think the one you already have is completely worthless? Have you tried calling them?

Christropher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...in pieces still.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 06, 03:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

A-A makes 2 harnesses, the factory fit is an identical drop in replacement for the original. The other one is kinda a cross between the factory fit and something like a painless universal harness. Be sure to get the one that's best for your setup.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 06, 06:10 PM

I got the engine compartment harness from AA...it really went in very nice and have no complaints...I did have mine custom made since my alternator has an internal regulator and is on the passenger side of the vehicle...Also they set it up for an MSD unit, however, I am kind of in a situation right now with having to add a diode. The connectors and everything else were right on as far as fit and look.

As far as the harness you bought, was it an under dash harness only? When you say you car stays running, do you have an MSD unit? Are you sure your light switch is working? Is there power to the switch? Have you done any testing before you junk the one you just bought?
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 06, 07:36 PM
Team Member
Christropher

Sounds like you guys are thinking he said he already bought an AA harness, he did not. Let me know if I'm misunderstanding you. He bought an EZ Wire harness and doesn't like it, so now he's looking at the AA harnesses. I was trying to find out from him if there was some way to make what he already spent money on work for him.

Christropher

...in pieces still.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 06, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies so far. The car stays running after I turn the key off. I have to disconnect the batt and alt to shut it off. Everything worked with the old harness, just that the old harness was mickey moused. I didn't want to continue to take the chance of catching fire. I followed EZ Wire very vage wire diagrams and the camaro diagrams. The ignition and the headlight plugs are wired from factory. B4 I buy a new harness I am going to triple check all the connections. The harness is complete from fuse box out. Just doesn't have a firewall connection just wires. I should of checked around b4 I bough this harness. Brand new light switch. No msd box.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 06, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

I'm going through the harness. I finding that the so called GM color code on the new harness doesn't match all the wires. I'll work on it some more till I get frustrated.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 06, 07:01 AM

American Autowire is awesome!! The harness has seperate instructions for the dash, rear, front, engine, console guages and courtesy lights. All the wires are printed with what they are for. The kit comes with a new ignition switch and light switch. It also comes with the sockets for the lights. I never installed a wiring harness before and this one was easy.

What is cool about the kit, is that is contains wires for additional items such as electric fuel pump, aftermarket guages, electronic speedometer, etc.

I think it is a great kit.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 06, 07:05 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

John, did you get a "classic update" harness then?

What can you tells us about those?

Like I posted before, A-A sells 2 different harness kits.

"factory fit" is identical to the original harness, although I believe it can be ordered with hookups for HEI and internal reg alt.

"Classic Update" is their other line, and it's one I'd like to know more about.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 06, 12:55 PM

http://www.americanautowire.com/products/#Product1

We went with 500661.

I couldn't find the 68 kit on Ebay today, but you could email this guy and see if he has it. This was the best price, I could find.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-...QQcmdZViewItem

My car is at my cousins and he has decided to buy two more kits for his projects.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 06, 07:11 AM
AAW

Hi. I just wanted to drop in and say hello and let you know we're on the board here if you have any questions. I can be reached at calling 856-933-0801, x29 or email me.. [email protected]
If you have any questions - technical in nature... let me know and our tech guy can explain anything you needed to know.
~Theresa Antell~
American Autowire
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 06, 10:19 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Now if that isn't service, I don't know what is. AA read your mind and responded here. As for AA, I've helped install two complete harnesses on custom applications. In both cases, the quality and clearity of the AA harness was just awesome. We especially liked the fuse panel design. One was installed on a custom 62 Chevy and the other on a 58 vette. In both cases, everything went very well so I can only imagine a direct fit replacement harness would be of the same quality.

Daddy's Hot Rod.

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 06, 02:22 AM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for your help. If I can't fix this harness I am going with American Autowire.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 06, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

I checked all the wires. Re-installed it and no power for parking lights and headlights. Also blew the dome light fuse. Time to buy the american autowire harness.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 06, 02:17 PM

I bought and installed the AA classic update and the RS conversion harness. The kit was great, easy to install and complete. Haven't got everything complete yet, but I've tested interior lights, brake, and headlight doors (opening anyway). My only recommendation is that you're aware of the fact that you'll have to buy a Packard/Metri-pak crimper to complete the classic update kit. I also needed the larger size crimper ... each cost $90 from AA. Had a hard time finding them anywhere else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode