Electronic ignition conversion - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 06, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rene

Electronic ignition conversion

Need some help guys, on a Pertronix ignitor ignition my power supply is the resistance wire (white w/ orange bands) suppling power to the positive side of the coil. Will this wire give me the full 12 volts to power the ignition system?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68 rs 350
M-20 4-speed
10 bolt 8.5 3.23

TC #24
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 06, 04:53 PM
wdf

Re: Electronic ignition conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbecool
Need some help guys, on a Pertronix ignitor ignition my power supply is the resistance wire (white w/ orange bands) suppling power to the positive side of the coil. Will this wire give me the full 12 volts to power the ignition system?
NO the "resistance wire" is there to drop the voltage to a set of points so they last longer. if you are NOT running points bypass the resistance wire for full ign voltage!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 06, 06:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Easiest thing is to cut it 4-6" from the bulkhead connector and solder on a sufficient length of 12 guage stranded wire. Would be a good excuse to pick up a roll of harness tape, clean up any other loose ends or bad splices, and rewrap the engine harness. You'll like how it looks so much you'll want to do the lighting harness too!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 06, 06:47 PM

Don't remember 100% but you got me thinking... when I upgraded my points to crane electronic retrofit and new coil, I was told to use the existing power supply by guy that rebuilt distributor for me. I would think this would be the same. Please confirm. If not why does it work?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 06, 07:00 PM
wdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69rag327
Don't remember 100% but you got me thinking... when I upgraded my points to crane electronic retrofit and new coil, I was told to use the existing power supply by guy that rebuilt distributor for me. I would think this would be the same. Please confirm. If not why does it work?
oponions are just that= one persons view point, but the issue is will it get full voltage? the answer is no,yes it may work just not as well as it was designed to! you can breath with one nostril plugged but is that how you want to run the 440
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 06, 07:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

It IS always important to read the directions.

Some electronic ignitions, such as mallory unilite, are designed to run with lower than 12 volts. Some will work with the resister wire, other require a balast resister and solis wire.

Some, such as a GM HEI, msd, or Accell billetproof, require the full 12 volts.

Others, such as pertronix or crane, I've never done so I don't know.

Most electronic devices are "tolerant" of out of spec voltage, but just because they function doesn't mean it's optimum.

Nearly all the manufacturers have instruction manuals available on-line if your is gone.

Read the directions!

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 06, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rene

I pulled the negative wire off the coil and grounded it, than turned on the key and read voltage on the positive side of the coil where the resistance wire connects and read 12.10 volts. I guess its getting what it needs to operate correctly. The yellow wire from the starter and the red from the distributor also connect at the positve side of the coil. Is this the correct way to check the output of the resistance wire?

68 rs 350
M-20 4-speed
10 bolt 8.5 3.23

TC #24
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 06, 10:34 PM
wdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbecool
I pulled the negative wire off the coil and grounded it, than turned on the key and read voltage on the positive side of the coil where the resistance wire connects and read 12.10 volts. I guess its getting what it needs to operate correctly. The yellow wire from the starter and the red from the distributor also connect at the positve side of the coil. Is this the correct way to check the output of the resistance wire?
NO- you can not run a voltage drop test unless the circuit is operating! start the engine and let it run- measure voltage from coil+ to bat - /now you will see what voltage is available to the coil
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 06, 12:16 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM
Easiest thing is to cut it 4-6" from the bulkhead connector and solder on a sufficient length of 12 guage stranded wire. Would be a good excuse to pick up a roll of harness tape, clean up any other loose ends or bad splices, and rewrap the engine harness. You'll like how it looks so much you'll want to do the lighting harness too!

Jim the first time i read thru i this i agreed and wasnt going to post but, then after i read some other post realized that the petronics kit wants 12v to the pickup
but I dont think you should put the full 12v to the coil because most coils are made for like 8v or whatever it sees after the ballast resistor

or I could be totally wrong, i just wanted to put this out here
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 06, 03:06 PM
Team Member
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400bird
Jim the first time i read thru i this i agreed and wasnt going to post but, then after i read some other post realized that the petronics kit wants 12v to the pickup
but I dont think you should put the full 12v to the coil because most coils are made for like 8v or whatever it sees after the ballast resistor
That's correct - the Pertronix module wants a full 12 volts to operate properly. The coil wants the reduced voltage from the resistance wire (or ballast resistor) unless the coil manufacturer says specifically that the coil is designed to run at a full 12 volts (all OEM coils are designed to run at 7-8 volts).

JohnZ
CRG
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 06, 10:47 PM
wdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ
That's correct - the Pertronix module wants a full 12 volts to operate properly. The coil wants the reduced voltage from the resistance wire (or ballast resistor) unless the coil manufacturer says specifically that the coil is designed to run at a full 12 volts (all OEM coils are designed to run at 7-8 volts).
Always be carefull with the word ALL - most GM factory coils (hei and up) run at full voltage it is easy to engineer the amp load in the coil with the design of the coil itself why add another component in the wiring harness? remember we are switching the coil electronicaly now no points!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 06, 08:34 PM
Team Member
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdf
Always be carefull with the word ALL - most GM factory coils (hei and up) run at full voltage it is easy to engineer the amp load in the coil with the design of the coil itself why add another component in the wiring harness? remember we are switching the coil electronicaly now no points!
I was referring to point distributors, as the original poster was - HEI's don't need a Pertronix conversion. OEM point ignitions all use separate coils, and ALL OEM point ignition coils require either a ballast resistor or a resistance wire.

JohnZ
CRG
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 06, 10:47 PM
Senior Tech

In the Pertronix installation booklet, it states that '' A resistor wire or ballast resistor may or may not be included in the original equipment. They are not to be changed in any way with the installation of an ignitor system". The question is.....does that include a modern coil or are we talking an O.E. coils with low resistance? I am running an Accel Coil with greater than 1.5 ohms which is the minimum requirement for the ignitor. Also, do the aftermarket engine harnesses include the resistor wire going to the positive side of the coil or is the white with orange banded wire insulation there just for appearances only?

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

Camaro buds until the end!!!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 06, 07:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Dave, follow the directions. It might also be worth a call to Pertronix regarding compatibility (for sure) with that coil, although your statement that the directions say min coil resistance 1.5 ohms tells me it's ok as long as it's that or more.

Like a set of points, the electronic module works by "completing" or "breaking" the primary ignition circuit through the coil. When the circuit is "complete" current flows thru the primary side of the coil, then thru the module, to ground. The "amount" of current is dependant on the overall resistance of the primary circuit, which includes the resister wire or ballast, the primary side of the coil (3.2 ohms "stock", 1.6 "HiPo" [a 1.6 ohm coil will draw twice as much current, and deliver twice as much spark energy]) and the module itself.

An electronic ignition module also requires a power supply. This power supply is NOT part of the primary circuit, it simply provides power to the "switch" and sensor. Some require the power supply to be a full 12 volts, others (like the pertronix, judging by your excerpt from the directions) operate just fine with less.

Another member was recently PM'ing me about a Crane electronic conversion. That one required the module power supply to be a full 12 volts, BUT also required a resistance in the primary circuit!

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 06, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rene

Called Pertronix today, was told that their coil (Flame Thrower) needs 12volts to work properly so no resistance wire. If it's an OEM coil use the resistance wire and if you are using an later model coil it probably will need the full 12 volts.

68 rs 350
M-20 4-speed
10 bolt 8.5 3.23

TC #24
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode