Help fuel guage on E - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 06, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Todd

Angry Help fuel guage on E

Im sorry for bringing this up again, BUT......My fuel guage stays on E. I replaced the sending unit with a new one. When I dropped the tank AGAIN I discovered the ground wire had pulled out of the connector, HOORAY I found the culprit, or so I thought......I made a new ground wire with new connectors, put the tank back up, installed my new ground wire, turn on the key and......NOTHING!!!!!!!! guage goes back to E! So i go to the connector in trunk unplug the tan wire turn on the key guage soars to 3:00 position.

Is there a chance the ring that holds the sending unit in place is causing me some heartache here? any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Todd

Todd
1968 Camaro
612ci Merlin tall deck, Turbo 400 w/Hughes internals, Hughes 5300 stall converter, 9"rear w/spool, 3.50 gear, Dart intake, Bullet solid roller cam. Dart Pro1 aluminum heads, Holley 1150 Dominator Carb.
Best ET 9.95 @136 mph.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 06, 10:07 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Help fuel guage on E

You might have a bad fuel gauge resistor wire. How long have you had this problem? How much gas do you have in the tank now? Have you pulled your Dash cluster panel lately?

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Camaro buds until the end!!!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 06, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Todd

I replaced the sending unit last fall. the old sending unit was pulled from the tank to get tank cleaned, it rusted, i reinstalled it into the tank the guage worked intermittenly, until i got tired of it and replaced it with a brand new sending unit........i have pulled the guage cluster once, but NOT all the way out.......I think i should forget about it tonite and try again tomorrow

Todd
1968 Camaro
612ci Merlin tall deck, Turbo 400 w/Hughes internals, Hughes 5300 stall converter, 9"rear w/spool, 3.50 gear, Dart intake, Bullet solid roller cam. Dart Pro1 aluminum heads, Holley 1150 Dominator Carb.
Best ET 9.95 @136 mph.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 06, 12:57 AM
Senior Tech

measure the resistance from the connector (sender side) to ground

if it some where from 90-0 omhs then its not the gauge

if it is OL then try grounding the meter to the tank, then try to get a good ground on the tank (the only reason i include that is that was my problem once)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 06, 07:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I think your problem is still related to the sender / gas tank. ?? Are you sure the connectors in the trunk are in the right place? Pluging the license plate light into the gas guage side of the connector will do what you're describing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 06, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM
I think your problem is still related to the sender / gas tank. ?? Are you sure the connectors in the trunk are in the right place? Pluging the license plate light into the gas guage side of the connector will do what you're describing.

I will try that....I dont remember unplugging both of them, but that isnt to say it hasnt happened.

thanks for all the input

Todd

Todd
1968 Camaro
Best ET 9.95 @136 mph.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 06, 01:00 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to undee72Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Camaro427
I replaced the sending unit with a new one. When I dropped the tank AGAIN I discovered the ground wire had pulled out of the connector, HOORAY I found the culprit, or so I thought......I made a new ground wire with new connectors, put the tank back up, installed my new ground wire, turn on the key and......NOTHING!!!!!!!! guage goes back to E! So i go to the connector in trunk unplug the tan wire turn on the key guage soars to 3:00 position.
Todd
Did you test the sending unit with a ohm meter before installing? With the ground wire pulled out of the connector, the gauge should have been pegged to "F". Since the gauge pedded to "E" it just means the circuit is being grounded elsewhere.

Greg U

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 06, 09:01 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Try this link it will help you allot http://www.chevelles.com/techref/ftecref18.html

Joe

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode