NEW odomotor stopped after 7 miles - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 06, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

NEW odomotor stopped after 7 TENTHS of a mile

Hey all. My new odomoter stopped working after 7 tenths of a mile as well as the speed odomoter. I have changed all the fuses..still with no luck. Any suggestions? The backlights work for the speed odomotor as well as the tac, but no speed or mileage.

Last edited by tarheeltime; Feb 10th, 06 at 03:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 06, 01:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: NEW odomotor stopped after 7 miles

I am sooo confused... yoiur sig mentions a 69, but you don't specifiaclly mention any car ay all in your question. Far as I know, an odometer is a mechanical device built into the speedo, it works on a cable not a fuse...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 06, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Jim thanks. A 69. That's why I am confused. Speed Odometer and Odomotor don't work, nor fuel gauge. Don't know where to start.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 06, 02:42 PM
Senior Tech
John

Start with the cable that goes in the SPEEDO. It may have popped out. Like Jim was getting at, forget about the fuses when your dealing with a mechanical Speedo.

You have 2 different issues here. One is electrical the other is mechanical.

Since you were in the back there of your cluster it is possible that your fuel gauge connection came loose as well.

John
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 06, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Does the speedodometer work off of mechanical too? Should I start in the trunk with the fuel. I put a tester on the fuel wire in trunk and I get a faint light. I'm not very good at electrical. Very frustrating.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 06, 05:26 PM
Senior Tech

the speedo works of the speedo cable
the speedo in turn drives the odometer, so either both work or neither

if it is connected and good at the back of the speedo check the end on the trans, its near the back screwed in the side

on the fuel gauge what is it doing? whats the problem?
you also could do a search for fuel gauge problems, we have gone over it so many times here the answer here
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 06, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

400 Bird thank you. I did a search on fuel gauge problems and read all I could. The fuel gauge will not come off empty. Brand new gauge cluster that worked before. Put a light circuit tester on the wire in the trunk in to the gas tank area and it lit up dim on the tester. Checked to make sure it had a good ground in the same spot. I will check speedo cables, didn't know if one didn't work both did not and that they were same problem, thank you. Any fuel advice?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 06, 10:59 PM
Senior Tech

measure the resistance from the tank side of the connector to ground (with the connector unhooked) this will check your sender and tank ground
the meter should read between 0 and 90 ohms 90 is a full tank

but because you just replaced your gauges, my guess is that the problem is with them
check to make sure the tan wire is connected (the tan wire is the sender wire from the tank) and not grounded anywhere
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 06, 05:49 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

The first test of a fuel guage problem is just a simple disconnect. In the rear center of the trunk, there is a connector with 2 wires attached. The tan one goes to the sender in the tank, the other one goes to the lisence plate light. If you unplug the tan wire, the guage (with power on) should float to way past full, about 3 o'clock on the dail. If it does, the problem is related to the sending unit or wiring below the point that you disconnected it.

The speedo problem is pure mechanical, and is unrelated. Most likely, the drive cable popped off the back of the speedometer.

Read thru the electrical basics at the top of this forum, might help you better understand what's happening here.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 06, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

I unhooked the fuel wire in trunk... still on empty with key on. I even tried running a ground (in case bad ground) straight to the battery...still on empty. It has a close to a full tank and it will not come off empty.

I took speedo cable off from tranny and checked the gear (yellow)...gear is fine. Although, now I don't think I am installing it back in (gear) tranny correctly. As you can see in the picture it looked this loose (picture when I pulled it). Should I feel it engage when I put the gear in with my fingers, or does it slide in place when I tighten it down?

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...e/DSC01302.jpg
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 06, 09:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheeltime
I unhooked the fuel wire in trunk... still on empty with key on. I even tried running a ground (in case bad ground) straight to the battery...still on empty. It has a close to a full tank and it will not come off empty.
If the guage reads empty with the wire in the trunk disconnected, then that tan wire is grounded out somewhere between the trunk connector and the guage, or possibly the wires are one the guage wrong.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 06, 12:53 AM
Senior Tech
John

Tarheeltime, Here is a pic of the speedometer/odometer driven gear assembly. (Different colored gears are used for different rear-end ratios. I didn't have a yellow one for the picture.) The square shaped inner cable runs thru the speedometer cable sheath and drives the speedometer in the dash. This square tip of the cable must slide thru the driven gear body, and into the end of the (purple) driven gear. The other end of the cable under the dash must slide into the speedometer.

To do a simple test of the speedometer cable..... Loosen the barrel nut holding the cable sheath to the driven gear housing. Pull the cable sheath away from the gear housing making sure the inner cable slides out of the gear. Don't pull on the inner cable, It can easily be pulled out of the back of the speedometer in the dash. Have a helper watch the speedometer in the dash. Now, spin the inner cable with your fingers. If the cable is good and properly connected to the speedometer the needle should dance a little as the cable is spun. (assuming the speedometer it's self is operational.) Attach the speedometer cable to the gear body. Insure the inner cable slides into the purple gear.. Now spin the gear with your fingers...same test as above.

If nothing happens when the cable is spun either direction, further evaluation is necessary. Either the inner cable is broken inside the sheath, the gear is stripped inside, or the cable isn't connected properly to the speedometer.

When you re-assemble, slide the gear into the body first. Then slide the body into the trans and install the retainer. Last, insert the cable into the end of the driven gear insuring contact and tighten the barrel nut.

Jb

Beat it to Fit, Paint it to Match!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode