Headlight relays questions.... - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 06, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

Headlight relays questions....

I tired this this evening and its not working correctly. Currently this is the headlight switch wires... I took the green wire from headlight switch and ran it to the relay #86 then ran the end from the headlight to the #87. I ran #85 to ground and ran a test with it hooked to the horn relay + to #30 and got nothing.... Also ran white wire to other relay and got nothing as well. The relays click but that's it...... Also even with the relays hooked up the lights come on even without connecting my new +12 source!!! What's wrong... Pleasae help...

I also am not getting the gauge lights to come on now. What is the wire coming from the headlight switch for the gauges? I thought it was the orange one, but I'm not getting the gauges to light now....

http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/att...achmentid=7804

Founder MuscleSyndicate.com
Muscle Car Car Club
68 Camaro 468 - F1R Procharger - Converting to Procharged LS - in process now selling 468 BBC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 06, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

Re: Headlight relays questions....

forgot to subscribe....

Also the picture above is my current headlight wiring plug..... My wiring schematic shows a tan wire for low beam, but I don't have a tan wire.... Please help....

Muscle Car Car Club
68 Camaro 468 - F1R Procharger - Converting to Procharged LS - in process now selling 468 BBC
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 06, 05:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

courtesy of astroracer at P/T

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 06, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

That's what I did and its not working correctly... One of my concerns is I have no tan wire like the schematic shows....

Also I have it wired as above stated, but I get the headlights to turn on without using the relays even though they are wired up....

Muscle Car Car Club
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 06, 02:27 AM
Senior Tech

ok your low beams are still working because like you said you dont have a tan wire like the diagram shows
that means that the low beam circuit is still hooked up and operating, as designed

check to see that the high beams are using the relays, just to see if that part is done right

look at the connectors on the back of your headlights (look at the low beams, the high beams should only have the first two wires)
there should be three wires one black (ground) one green (high beam +) and one ______ (the diagram said tan but you car is different, this is the low beam +, whatever color it is)
you need to substitute this last wire in for any tan wire in the above wiring diagram
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 06, 11:18 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by whytry
That's what I did and its not working correctly... One of my concerns is I have no tan wire like the schematic shows....
How can you have hooked it up the way the schematic shows if you don't have a tan wire?

Is there any chance that the wires are sun faded and confusing matters? You might peel back the tape a bit to make sure you have the right wires.

As 400bird says, approach the problem by starting at the lamp sockets themselves. Figure out which wire is high-beam and which is low-beam. Then substitute those colors for your instructions. If you don't have a tan wire, what do you have hooked up to the lowbeam relay?

I'd suggest disconnecting the lamp sockets and relays from their sockets and troubleshoot from there. First step would be to confirm you have continuity from terminal 87 (on the socket) to the bulb socket of each circuit. If not, figure out why. Next, would be to see that you have 12volts to terminal 86 with the lights on (high and low beams). If not, figure out why. There should not be continuity between 86 and 87.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 06, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

Thanks guys!!! Got it all done last night...

Works great now, for my car it winded up being the Lt. Blue wire..... Just an FYI for anybody else who tries this and has no Tan....

If I were going to run a Circuit breaker for this seperate power wire, what size breaker should I run?

Now on to the power window relays!!

Muscle Car Car Club
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 06, 05:14 PM
Senior Tech

You can measure a head lamp with a digital volt meter on the 10 amp setting (switch dial and leads). I thought about how to do this the simplest and here is what I came up with.

Disconnect one head lamp so you don't overload your meter. Leave the other side connected. Pull the relay out of the socket. Insert the ammeter leads accross the load pins of the relay socket. But you've got to get it right. If you put your meter accross the coil circuit you'll pop the fuse in your meter.

Measure high and low beam on one side. Double the sum of L and H beam current measurements to compensate for the disconnected bulb. Then fudge it up a bit. I'm gonna guess about 15 amps total (7.5 amps per lamp). If I'm close, a 30 Amp breaker wouldn't be out of line. What's the factory fuse rating?

Be sure to put your meter leads back in the volt-ohm sockets to prevent an abscent minded surprise when you go to measuring voltage again.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 06, 08:50 PM
Senior Tech

you dont need to use the amp setting on your volt meter its more trouble to hook it up in line and risk the fuse

you can measure the restance of the headlights (both high and low beams), then use this formula

amps= volts/ohms

so say that you measure.5 ohms per headlight
then 14volts /4 ohms= 3.5 amps per headlight

then you have 6 filaments at 3.5 amps each 21 amps plus some extra say 30 amp breaker

just to clarify you have 6 filaments (2 in each low beam, and 1 in each high beam) and these all may have different values, so measure all the filments on one side

but these numbers are all guesses, i dont have any idea what the resistance of your healights actually are

edit: i wasnt thinking earlier, its even easier than all that

if you have 55 watt lights
the formula is amp x volts = watts

so 55 watts / 12 volts = 4.6 amps
and just remember you have 6 filaments
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 06, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

OK will do, thanks alot guys!!!!

Muscle Car Car Club
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 06, 08:06 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400bird
you can measure the restance of the headlights (both high and low beams), then use this formula
I agree with everything you said except the bulb filament resistance theory. Bulb filaments change resistance as they heat up. The cold resistance will be a great deal lower than hot resistance.

Dave
========================
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 06, 02:15 AM
Senior Tech

ok, thats fine, i easily could be wrong

but if cold resistance is lower, and he is measuring the resistance when cold, i dont think it would be a problem
when the resistance is lower the amp draw is higher, so his fuses would be oversized some (when hot), and he would be over protected when the lights get hot
but still have enough fuse so they dont blow when the lights are cold

if it would be a problem, could you explain why?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 06, 06:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rene

Just curious the Lt blue is usually for the turn signal have you tried you blinker with the lights on?

68 rs 350
M-20 4-speed
10 bolt 8.5 3.23

TC #24
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 06, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

Yeah, I did and everything works fine. Kinda wierd, I thought the lt blue was for turn signals too.... But turn signals work great.

Muscle Car Car Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode