only getting 4.68 volts to gas tank - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 06, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

only getting 4.68 volts to gas tank

Yes, I 'm the same guy trying to figure out my fuel gauge. I get a 4.68 volts reading from the trunk with the key on. I then ran a temp wire outside the car to battery and then to fuel wire in trunk and got 12.5 volts. Fuel gauge still didn't move. I then took an ohm reading like everyone suggested on the sending wire that goes through the trunk to tank. (I did not drop the tank) I took it right on top by the rubber boot. It read .06 on a fuel tank. Fuel gauge yet to come of empty. Any Advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 06, 04:37 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Re: only getting 4.68 volts to gas tank

Seth look here I don't know if you have seen this link or not, it might help https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=73968

Joe

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 06, 07:47 PM
Senior Tech
Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheeltime
Yes, I 'm the same guy trying to figure out my fuel gauge. I get a 4.68 volts reading from the trunk with the key on. I then ran a temp wire outside the car to battery and then to fuel wire in trunk and got 12.5 volts. Fuel gauge still didn't move. I then took an ohm reading like everyone suggested on the sending wire that goes through the trunk to tank. (I did not drop the tank) I took it right on top by the rubber boot. It read .06 on a fuel tank. Fuel gauge yet to come of empty. Any Advice?

I finally figured out the trouble with mine.....I had replaced the the sending unit, the o-ring clamp the holds sending unit in place was grounding out....I took oring off attached wires guage worked......I carefully put ring back on tapped into place gage still worked.......If you have changed sending unit, you might want to double check it.

Todd

Todd
1968 Camaro
612ci Merlin tall deck, Turbo 400 w/Hughes internals, Hughes 5300 stall converter, 9"rear w/spool, 3.50 gear, Dart intake, Bullet solid roller cam. Dart Pro1 aluminum heads, Holley 1150 Dominator Carb.
Best ET 9.95 @136 mph.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 06, 01:39 AM
Senior Tech

OK when the connector in the trunk is unhooked the gauge should go all the way up to Full and past

so that means the problem is either in the wire between the connector and the gauge or the gauge itself
i would unhook the tan wire from the gauge and see what the gauge reads then

if the gauge goes full then the problem is in the wire
check all along the harness for pinched spots, bare wire, or any rubbing

if the gauge does not change and stays on empty then check for both power and ground at the gauge, here i cannot be much help, i dont have a 69 and dont have any idea what the connections back there look like

and the resistance reading you got for the sender (it would be easier for me at least) if you could give some units like is it just straight .06 ohms or is it .06 kilo ohms? mega? milla?

if it is .06 then either your totally out of gas, or the sender (or wire to sender) is grounded

sorry for the long response, hope it is not confusing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode