key buzzer - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 06, 04:58 AM Thread Starter

key buzzer

I am trying to get my key buzzer to work. I have replaced door jam switches. I have replaced horn relay. It is still not working. Can anyone tell me what else I can check? Someone mentioned contactors in the steering column, but not sure where they are located. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 06, 05:34 AM
Senior Tech

Re: key buzzer

The following link is to a key warning buzzer diagnosis scan for a generic GM steering column. So even though it is posted on the Corvette websight, it is valid for Camaros as well.

http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/wp-co...rDiagnosis.doc

JIML82
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 06, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

i can not get into that file

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 06, 10:16 AM
Senior Tech
Wes

On a 69, the actual buzzer is near the voltage regulator. I'll check when I get home, but I believe it's a smaller guage pink wire with a black stripe,..that comes from your starter switch.

Check to see if it's connected. Sometimes it's disconnected.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 06, 10:23 AM
Team Member
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunbaby100
i can not get into that file
I opened it and converted to PDF. PM me your email address and I'll send it to you. It's about 1Mb.

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt, Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS Tall Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff from Ron Davis, Vintage Air and soon to be Terminator EFI.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 06, 10:47 AM
Senior Tech
Charles

here is the contact inside the column. it has two small copper tangs inside a plastic "cartridge". the whole thing will just pull right out. the plastic "cartridge" will get old and break or the copper contacts will get bent or dirty and not make contact. it is located under the turn signal housing.

BELIEVE IN YOUR DREAMS
1969 SS X55 NOR added RS all NOS sheetmetal, ground up resto. 24 year project and dream. optioned out the wazoo. in one thousand pieces, and coming together finally.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 14, 06:47 PM
Tech Team
Scott

My car is coming off of a fresh restoration. I'm finishing up with the interior and need some help on the key buzzer. My buzzer did not work and I noticed the tangs on the "cartridge" were bent. I figured that was the issue so I started straightening them out. I now see that that was a mistake. Can somebody tell me if the two contacts are supposed to touch each other and what are they supposed to touch?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 14, 07:13 PM
Team Member
Jack

Just did this project myself. I ended up with two problems 1) The "cartridge" as its been referred to was all bent up so I replaced it. Like someone else mentioned it just slides in and 2) My horn relay either didnt work as a buzzer or never did so I had to replace it. I found that getting it to work first at the relay and then moving on to the steering column was helpful.

69 Z28 x77 Hugger Orange / Deluxe Houndstooth / M21 / 4:10 posi / Canadian Docs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 14, 07:24 PM
Tech Team
Scott

The buzzer works. The problem is I can't get it to stop buzzing or if I move the tabs it won't buzz at all. I can't figure out what is supposed to touch and what isn't.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 14, 07:24 PM
Team Member
Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsdz302 View Post
Can somebody tell me if the two contacts are supposed to touch each other and what are they supposed to touch?
Heres a photo of a new one showing the relationship of the tangs to each other
http://www.camarocentral.com/product_p/das-1014.htm

69 Z28 x77 Hugger Orange / Deluxe Houndstooth / M21 / 4:10 posi / Canadian Docs

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode