Gas gauge - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 06, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Gas gauge

1967 Camaro- Just installed new tank, sender, rear wiring harness. Everything new but gauge. Tank has about 7 gallons in it. Tank reads E. Disconnected the tan wire in the truck connector and grounded and the gauge goes past full. Ground appears to be good to body. I do not have an ohm meter to test. Any thoughts on where to go?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 06, 04:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Gas gauge

If you disconnected the tan wire in the trunk and the guage went past full, then the problem is in or directly attached to the fuel tank. One recent poster with this problem found that the locking ring that hold the sender in the tank was off center just enough to ground the sender connection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 06, 04:39 PM
Senior Tech

well I can tell you that the problem is (most likely) after that connector in the trunk, the problem is finding it...

when the gauge reads empty that means that it is grounded, so check to make sure the wire is not pinched somewhere, and that the sender is correctly adjusted

and i know there are two connectors there in the trunk, one for the gas gauge, the other is for the backup light, i think it is possible to switch them, but i am not sure

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 06, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

When you say that the locking ring is off center, do you mean that in tighting it that it went to far an that the ring tab is touching the ground stud where the wire connects? If so, I guess I will have to drop that tank and make sure nothing is touching the ground? Please inform.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 06, 08:09 PM
Senior Tech
Todd

that is EXACTLY what happened to mine......What I did is I left the wires attached to the sending unit, took the lock ring off, turned on the key on, the gauge worked, so i carefully put the ring back on , checked with key still worked, carefully tightened the ring checked with key on still worked.....I did this with the tank out on the ground to make sure it was working before I put tank back up.....hope this helps.

Todd
1968 Camaro
612ci Merlin tall deck, Turbo 400 w/Hughes internals, Hughes 5300 stall converter, 9"rear w/spool, 3.50 gear, Dart intake, Bullet solid roller cam. Dart Pro1 aluminum heads, Holley 1150 Dominator Carb.
Best ET 9.95 @136 mph.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 06, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

What a beating! I dropped the tank and backed the ring off a tad and checked the gauge. It appeared to work. Carefully mounted the tank back and put about 6 gallons of gas in and hit the key. Back to E! Can anything else metal wise be grounding this out after you bolt up the tank?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 06, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

I got lucky! With the tank mounted, I was able to get a light up in front of the tank to see the ring. Used a screwdriver and lightly tapped the locking ring to move it about 1/4" and the gauge reads correctly now. Thanks for all the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode