Any First Generation Electrical Gurus Here? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 06, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Any First Generation Electrical Gurus Here?

On my 69 there is/was a condenser mounted to a terminal on the voltage regulator to ground. From what I've read, this was to help eliminate static on cars with factory radios/stereos. Is this necessary when a modern stereo is installed and does it have any other function? For that matter, a definition of a condenser would be great. I always thought they were just capacitors. Any input? Thanks, Joe in DFW...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 06, 12:55 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Any First Generation Electrical Gurus Here?

You're right, they are capacitors and the one on the regulator was for static suppression. Try it without it and see what happens. Most of the static was on AM not FM and not many people listen to AM anymore.

69 RS 355 Tremec 5-Speed 4.11's
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 06, 01:17 PM
Senior Tech

I kept mine on strictly for looks and not function. It was needed back in the days when the original radios were AM band and is no longer needed on today's Radio/Stereos. Just make sure that all the proper ground wires are in place from the radio and also the body to frame ground located on the passenger frame rail.

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Camaro buds until the end!!!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 06, 06:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I kept mine as well, it "looks" more correct that way. The relays in an old style regulator can hit some pretty hard surges tho. If you use a wells vr715 electronic regulator you don't need the capacitor.

fyi... a capacitor presents an OPEN circuit to direct current (the cars 12 volts) but presents a short to alternating current. It shorts the big spikes when the relay's open and close to ground. (grossly oversimplified so don't call me on the details!) preventing them from interfering with the radio.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 06, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I just added the 715 regulator and was surprised it had the tab for the condensor. I will add one if I can find it. I looked yesterday at the local shops but they all had the adjustable band with small mounting hole. There would be no way to mount it to the quarter inch reg. bolt correctly. Anyone know where to find one that will work? Thanks
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 06, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

While I have your attention, there's a red 10ga wire coming out of my bulkhead connector that I didn't hook up years ago and now it's bugging me. I thought it was for main dash bus because it is hot with the ignition on but that can't be right because when I hook it to 12v+ with the key off it energizes the ignition. Maybe that's why I left it unhooked?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode