Back up lights don't work - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 06, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Back up lights don't work

Just installed all new back up lights on my 67' camaro. Rear harness is new as well. With the car in reverse, the lights do not work. Tried moving the shifter back and forth to see if it just needed adjustment. No luck. Would this be a bad netural saftey switch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 06, 01:01 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Back up lights don't work

The two wires on the switch for the reverse lights are pink and light green if I remember correctly. With the key in the "run" position probe these wires with a grounded test light and see if you have power on both wires with the shifter in reverse. If you have power on one, then I'd say it's the switch. If you don't have power on either, check the fuses. If you have power on both, check for power at the sockets and make sure the sockets are grounded.

69 RS 355 Tremec 5-Speed 4.11's
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 06, 01:02 PM
Senior Tech

CB, Did you turn the key to the on position when you checked the reverse lights? There needs to be power to the N/S switch via the ignition switch.

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Camaro buds until the end!!!

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 06, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Put a test light on the terminals and I only have power to 1 wire. I will replace the switch and let you know. Thanks.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 06, 06:59 PM
Senior Tech
Sonny

Before you replace the swich just tie the two wires together,does the same thing.May save buying switch you don't need.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 06, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

The wire connections on the switch do not come off. How would I tie these together?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 06, 12:28 PM
Senior Tech
Sonny

Can't remember what the switch looks like,can you take a small piece of wire and make a jumper
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 06, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

I think so. I will give it a try and let you know if it works. The four wires are fixed to the switch and run to a connector.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 06, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

I have now spliced the 2 wires together and the back up lights turn on with the key on and stay on at all times. Thoughts?
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 06, 10:49 AM
Senior Tech

The lights stay on at all times because you are making a complete circuit. Did you splice the wires together instead of using a jumper wire? You need to break the circuit via the N/S switch. Hook the switch back up and adjust the switch according to the directions that should have been included with the N/S switch. Another thing......Do you have the tab on the shifter inserted into the switch.....it will not work without the tab.

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 06, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

The tab is inserted into the switch. I used a jumper wire and tied it into each wire. Are you saying that I should take one of the wires out of the connector and splice to the other?
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 06, 11:55 AM
Senior Tech

No, Keep everything the same. The jumper wire was only to test the circuit to make sure it was working. Keep the four wires in the connector and connect the N/S switch back up. After adjusting the switch, your reverse lights should work now.....if not, the switch most likely is bad.
Just to refresh my memory.....Which trans do you have?

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 06, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Trans is a auto 350. Can you give me some direction on adjusting the switch? I am new at this. Thanks for being patient.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 06, 08:52 PM
Senior Tech

CB, Did your car originally come with a Powerglide transmission? Is the N/S switch that you bought for your car, for the TH350 or for a Powerglide trans? I think your problem might be that you have the wrong N/S switch. If your car originally came with PG, even though you have the TH350, you must use the PG N/S switch because of the detant plate.

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 06, 04:39 AM Thread Starter

Still has the powerglide switch in place. Keep in mind, I am still working with the old switch. I have not replaced it with a new one. With that being said, how do you adjust the switch? The jumper wire that I connected to the two wires made the lights come on. I have no taken it off and no lights. I have the key on and have moved the shifter back and forth and nothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode