wipers dont move - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 06, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Louis

wipers dont move

okay i dont reall yknow whats wrong with my wipers it doesnt work
all i know it just moves little by little when my 1967 camaro is on
i put a new painless wiring harness and still it does the same. when i bought the car the wipers didnt work and when i tried checking the switch it shocked me so do you think the motor is mest up or the switch and i tryied to run power stright to the wiper motor but nothing happen
i checked the wire is it normal if i turn the key on the on postion both yellow wire that goes to the wiper motor should always be constant well i hope you someone can help me sove my problem thanks louis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 06, 06:03 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: wipers dont move

The motor is supplied power all the time the key is on thru the yellow wire. To run the motor, the wiper switch puts a ground on either the high or low speed wire. If you got shocked from the switch, I'd guess it isn't grounding to the dash. Pull the switch out and get the paint off the backside of the dash where the switch mounts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 06, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Louis

okay i just tried doing that and it doesnt shock me no more and i just sanded the back side down and it has a good ground any more suggestions

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 06, 12:41 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Sound like the wiper motor is shot.

Schoon
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 06, 11:54 AM
Senior Tech

i have the same problem! i have a brand new wiper motor i got from classic. the thing was a total bear to clock so i could hook the wiper transmission arm to it. im using a detroit speed dash. its metal so i figured the switch would ground its self. im still using the factory headlight ground bracket also. funny thing is my headlight switch will work when its not hooked up to the dash. with it just hanging there hooked up it would light up my gauges and turn my tails light on when pulled.

anyway. i hooked up the wires to the new wiper motor, they only way they could be installed using a painless kit also. and when i turned on the key and slid the switch to low i would hear a loud click, but get no movement. so i figured the transmission arm was installed wrong or jammed. so i uninstalled the transmission crank and when i turn the key the fuse pops now! i have the wires hooked up to the switch in this order. dark blue, light blue, black.

any ideas? the transmission arms move freely. my dad thinks we may have trashed the wiper motor trying to get it to work last time. hes responsible or rotating the motor over a few times with plyers, because it felt so stiff. i have my old crusty wiper motor still and it rotates easily.

here are some pics. from what i can tell painless switched the yellow and blue wires around from the factory set up? why would they do that? the clips only plug in one way.

69 coupe
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 06, 12:08 PM
Senior Tech

after reading a few other posts someone said that painless wired the motor back wards. so looks like i need to switch the light blue and yellow jumper wires around. also, when i installed my wiper motor my gauges stopped working. so i added another ground strap from my engine to the opposite side of the wiper motor and the gauges now have life again. do you think the motor was clicking because the transmission arms were the solid ground to the body?

here is a diagram i found from another post. looks like painless wired it wrong.

69 coupe
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 06, 06:49 PM

Ok while were talking about wiper wiring problems help me out. I have a brand new wiper motor, new OEM wiring harness inside and outside and new switch. I cant get the wiper to click or anything and it keeps blowing fuses. I have the dash out and I don't have the switch grownded. But when I turn on the switch I get current through all the wires including the grownd. Is this normal? If I grownd the switch should it work?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 06, 01:49 AM
Senior Tech

i made a ground wire and attached it to one of the mounting points of the switch itself. then i attached that wire to the inner structure of the firewall with a sheet metal screw. after that the switch worked. with no ground the motor wont work. because the yellow, blue, and black wire are all hot (12V) with the key on. the wiper swith grounds out one of the color wires at a time. i had the same problem. blowing fuses until i made a ground wire for the wiper switch.

69 coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode