Help!! Car Won"t Start All Of The Sudden - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 06, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

Help!! Car Won"t Start All Of The Sudden

Went to take the car for a drive, would not start - low battery, put Sears charger, (the one with selectable 2,10 or 50 amps) I had it on 10, let it sit for about 10 minutes, cranked over a couple times but would not start, then shifted to 50 amps, (stated for starting) car started perfect and let it idle for a moment, jumped out of the car to unhook the charger and the car died... Crap, so I tried to start it and it cranked 2x but would not start. Put charger back on it @ 10 amps and let it sit for a couple minutes tried it again, cranked slowly then clicked and then nothing!!! Charger started making a funny noise so unplugged it all. Checked battery with voltmeter and it showed close to 5 volts!! Then went to pull headlights on and nothing worked at all in the car not even the dome light, went to battery shows 4 volts now and dropping... Took out of car and charged and went back to 12 volts, put back in car and began to drop again all the way down to where nothing would come on..... I switched to Ohms and it shows approx 4 ohms load on battery while voltage is dropping..... Unhooked battery checked terminals and showed 1....

I was putting new carpet and Fat mat in the car before this happened and before I put the seats in etc, I checked all the wires and it was fine, headlights worked, everything worked... Battery is an Optima Red Top.....

HELP!!!

Founder MuscleSyndicate.com
Muscle Car Car Club
68 Camaro 468 - F1R Procharger - Converting to Procharged LS - in process now selling 468 BBC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 06, 07:46 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Help!! Car Won"t Start All Of The Sudden

Time for a new battery. Since you tried to charge it twice and it will not hold a charge.

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Camaro buds until the end!!!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 06, 08:46 PM
Senior Tech
Sonny

Battery's shot,sounds like a shorted plate.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 06, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

The battery was able to hold a charge of 11.8 volts for over an hour, but once I hooked it up to the car it dropped like a rock on the voltmeter down to 4 volts!!! I tried to turn the headlights on and nothing!!! Just watched the volts drop.... Also tried running the charger to the battery when it was still in the car and the battery charger went into protect!!!

Any ideas?

Muscle Car Car Club
68 Camaro 468 - F1R Procharger - Converting to Procharged LS - in process now selling 468 BBC
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 06, 08:52 PM
Senior Tech
John Fivian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whytry
Any ideas?
Yes, as stated, dead battery that wont hold a charge.

John Fivian
68 327
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 06, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Hook a test light between the battery cable and battery post, then start to disconnect fuses.

If battery is still up front and pigtail on positive battery cable runs to a junction block on the radiator support, there may be enough corrosion between the block and support to give a path for current.

Might disconnect alt BAT terminal.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 06, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

What do you mean for the testlight part? Have the battery disconnected and connect the strap of the test light the the + cable the test the light on the + battery post? If I do that and then start disconnecting fuses will the light go out when I find the problem? Also would this problem I am having blow the fuse in the 1st place? I recently ran the relays for the headlights but have not added a circuit breaker could this be a cause of any problems? I have not driven the car since I added the relays, just started it and made sure the ligths worked....

Muscle Car Car Club
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 06, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

This morning, I think I fixed it. I charged the battery overnight on slow 2 am charge, ran jumper cables from the battery to the battery cables on the car, started to drain again, disconected then then jumped it straight from my daily driver the the battery cables heard a "clunk" sound, went to look to see if I saw anything nothing, but battery cables for the Camaro were now reading close to 13 volts, jumped in the car and the the engine cranked over!! Jumped it with the other car got it running and swapped cars. Headlights worked, radio, everything works now, so I shut it off, and ran the battery to the battery cables and it is not draining it now, kinda wierd, but has anybody else ever had a starter solenoid lock up before? I remember somewhere reading something about their starter solenoid sticking and when it unsticks it clunks real loud....I am not sure if that was my problem but now everything seems to be working ok.

THANKS FOR THE HELP AGAIN... Should I still swap out the battery for a YEllow top?-

Muscle Car Car Club
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 06, 04:06 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

With a test light in place, the filament glows. By taking out fuses and fusible links, the glowing dims. Sometimes, this has to be viewed at dusk due to the minial amount of current, ie, read only memory of the late model stero equipment, vehicle's ECM, if equipped, clock, etc.

If the starter solenoid stuck in the drive position, then the starter should be shimmed away from the flywheel. These shims can be bought at the Help aisle. Shim(s) should fit under both bolts to move the starter away from the flywheel. Shim only the outer bolt to move the starter into the flywheel.

Be sure to have the starter front brace attached or starter nose breakage can happen.

Swap out the battery only if it fails the 15 second battery load test with a load tester. Or, drops below 10 volts during a 15 second starter crank with the ignition disabled and throttle at WOT.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 07, 03:37 PM

i had a 79 chev pickup with 350 in it and the starter/siliniod killed my battery . so i called my buddy to give me a jump....so he hooked up to my battery and i cranked it ... stalled his truck and killed his battery.dont know why but thought id share it with you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode