Delco Am radio wiring - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 06, 05:27 AM Thread Starter

Delco Am radio wiring

I just purchased a 67 Delco Am radio to install in my 67 Camaro. The connector is missing from my harness. There are three terminals in the bottom right hand corner of the radio, looking from the back side. Can anybody I.D. these terminals for me? I also would like to hook this radio up with a small hidden speaker under the dash as the original location has custom autosound speakers in it for my hidden stereo. What is the correct resistance for the OEM speaker? 10 ohms? Can I hook a resistor up to a 4 or 8 ohm speaker to get the correct resistance? Can I rewire the radio light right into the dash lights? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 06, 06:21 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Delco Am radio wiring

Yellow wire is power, ACC, from ign switch. Orange wire is inst lights.
Green & white is speaker hookup.

OE ohms was 10 ohms for speaker. You can use an 8-ohm without much problem. Four ohm should not be a problem either, it will require less volume knob movement for sound output. just don't turn up the vol to max, it will blow the speaker amp.

Speaker plug is on its own. I would take a couple wires and hook one up to the chassis and watch the front dial to watch for the light to light when power is applied from the battery. Light comes on independent of ON-OFF switch.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 06, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

Thanks,
So looking at the terminals from the back of the radio. Reading from left to right it should be Green, White, Yellow. Thanks again.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 06, 07:49 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Send a message via Yahoo to go2fast

Be careful with speaker impedence. Those old germanium output transistors really don't like anything less them 10ohms.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 06, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

I was thinking of hiding the speaker under the dash, just so the radio still works. Can I hook up a resistor to an 8 ohm speaker so I get 10 ohms?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 06, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

There already is a place to bolt a speaker to the dash above the radio & heater controls. Look inside.

Running an 8 ohm speaker would be fine, just don't crank up the volume. But, if you look at least an 87 S15 Jimmy or S10 Blazer, the OE rear speakers are 6X9 and come 10 ohm.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 06, 04:43 AM Thread Starter

The dash speaker location is being used by my hidden stereo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode