New LED brake lights installed - video attached - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 06, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

New LED brake lights installed - video attached

I just installed the new version of the Technostalgia brake/tail/turn/backup LED lights into my '68 SS. The "new" version includes "rapid-fire" brake lights, which means the brake lights pulse a few quick times then stay constant on.

I made a short video (in my garage) which shows the turn signal and brake lights operating. I did not bother showing the tail lights or backup lights. I was mainly concerned with better brake/turn lighting in the rear to help avoid someone slamming into my a## end. The video really doesn't do the lights justice, they are much better in real life. However, it shows the innovative "rapid-fire" brake lights in operation.

I must say, these lights are one of the best things I ever bought for my car. I am very pleased with them. The backup lights are not too bright, but all other functions are just terrific.

Download the 1.7mb video here: http://csgbenefits.org/ledlights.wmv

PS - I'm not affiliated with Technostalgia in any way. I'm just a satisfied customer who thought I'd share my experience.

-

Dave F. in Rhode Island
'68 Camaro SS Accel DFI 454 (SOLD - I'm a boring Corvette owner now)
Bought my first big-block Chevy in 1970
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 06, 03:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: New LED brake lights installed - video attached

for those interested, here's the link: http://www.cool-leds.com/

Cool stuff! I checked out there website, and read some of the instruction manauls. It seems you can do this system a few different ways.

Since you have experience with this setup, please correct any incorrect assumptions I might make!

Way 1: Just buy one of the tail light kits. No wiring changes to car (except in the trunk) outer red tail light will maintain it's stock tail light, turn signal, and stop light functions, all red.

Way 2: RS Buy 2 tail light kits, operates as above.

Way 3: What you did. Buy a tail light kit and a turn signal / backup light kit. This requires running a new wire from the dash to separate the stop / turn signal functions, and is detailed on the site in the 55 chevy turn / backup light instructions. (assumptions here, please correct!)

I wonder how flexible this company is, if they will do a "special" I'd like to do a set with tail lights on the outside, backup on the inside, and stop / turn (in red) on both? Gonna hafta call them...lol.

Really really, how much brighter are they than the original bulbs?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 06, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Yes, I did "Way 3" and I had to run one new wire from brake light switch to the trunk, pretty easy to do. All other connections are made into existing harness. Directions are simple and easy to understand.

As I had said, the camera doesn't do justice to the lights, the lights are washed out in the video. They are not ridiculously bright, but they are certainly brighter than stock, plus now I have two brake lights on when turning! Additionally, those pulses really get your attention, IMO.

Plus, the LED's look much better behind the lenses than I thought they would. It's almost like the lenses were made for the lights. Actually, I'm betting the lights were designed especially to complement the lenses, because it has a 3D look when lit, very nice. I've spent a ton of money on this car and have tried to keep it as original looking as possible, so I am always hesitant to add something like this. But in this instance, this is one aftermarket mod that I am totally happy about. And it could easily save my life too........

-

Dave F. in Rhode Island
'68 Camaro SS Accel DFI 454 (SOLD - I'm a boring Corvette owner now)
Bought my first big-block Chevy in 1970

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 06, 06:05 PM
Senior Tech

I kind of like the "blink*blink*on" of the tail lights. It's like of like a pair of yosimity sam "back off" mud flaps -

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode