Mad Electic upgrade going in - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 06, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Mad Electic upgrade going in

Has anyone done the mad electric upgrade kit to the CS-130 Alt? I am doing that on my 68 RS along with the starter solenoid, headlight kit and wiring in my electric fan. Is this easier done with the motor in or out? I just rebuilt a 350 to drop in and I'm wondering if I should do the wiring now or wait until I have the engine in. Let me know. Also any advice on the kit, in's, out's mods. I just installed all new harnesses under the hood since the old ones were hacked up. Thanks.

p.s. I have a new MSD ignition system to go in as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 06, 05:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rene

Re: Mad Electic upgrade going in

I did the upgrade with the motor in. I did the Alt (10si), headlight relays, start'm up kit and installed insulated terminal block one by the horn relay and the other on the firewall. I also installed an extra relay by the distributor and hooked up the resitance wire to it and ran it to the firewall terminal block for full voltage to the coil. It takes time it solder all the wires and install all the shrinkable tubing but it's worth it. Headlights are super bright. The best part is that if you run into any problems Mark Hamilton will provide you with the customer servvice you would expect. I recommend these upgrades to all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68 rs 350
M-20 4-speed
10 bolt 8.5 3.23

TC #24
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 06, 05:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

can't think of a reason not to gewt it done while the engine is still out. More room to work if nuttin else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 06, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Could someone snap a few photos of the upgrades and e-mail them to me I would be thankful. I am going to do the upgrades but I' a little confused on where to start. I am also installing an MSD system and I'm just not sure where to begin.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 06, 06:29 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

Smile Re: Mad Electic upgrade going in

You are going to have to put pen to paper and plot out your system with the changes that you want to make. If you look at Mark's sight, he has plenty of diagrams, you can also speak to him and get info that way. The point is that until you set out a plan of action, you will continue to look at it as this huge task and not know where to start. So draw your own diagram or use his and just make any adjustments necessary to suit what you want to do. As for the MSD, just look at their diagram and work it into your system. The first step is to figure out where you want the box to go and then work that into your wiring diagram. The diagram will help you to make sure that you have covered all your bases, and also it will give you something to refer to for troubleshooting if you have a problem down the road. When I did mine, I also was installing a new harness from front to back, talk about "where do I start?" I followed all of Mark's suggestions, made certain adjustments based on my needs and then went to work. The results are outstanding! You will not be dissapointed if you do it right the first time around. I have never had an electrical problem and the brightness of lights and overall system strength and reliability is great! Anyway, like I said, plot out what you want to do and then get started. Oh and don't hesitate to ask more questions. That's what we are here for. I have been in exactly the same spot you are right now.
Shown below are my MSD box mounted on firewall, relay box mounted on driver's side inner fender, and underdash power supply under passenger side dash for both battery power and key only power.
Mike

Currently Camaroless

Last edited by 1NAST69; Mar 17th, 06 at 06:51 AM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 06, 12:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rene

I too looked at my project for a few days before installing the hardware. Drawing my wiring before hand saved me time and placement problems. Although I have not finished tie wraping wires and installing wiring conduit you will get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01018.JPG
Views:	304
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	509   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01019.JPG
Views:	297
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	510   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01020.JPG
Views:	310
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	511  

68 rs 350
M-20 4-speed
10 bolt 8.5 3.23

TC #24
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 06, 02:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Armando

looks intriguing...but what is it???

Armando

1967 Chevy Camaro RS/SS
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew FX4
2007 Ford Mustang GT/CS (sold)
2002 F150 Harley Davidson (sold)
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 06, 03:10 PM
Senior Tech
Michael

If you are referring to the pictures posted by RSBCOOL, they are the headlight relays, start'm up kit, and insulated terminal block he referred to in his first post.

Mike

Currently Camaroless
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 06, 03:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Armando

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1NAST69
If you are referring to the pictures posted by RSBCOOL, they are the headlight relays, start'm up kit, and insulated terminal block he referred to in his first post.

Mike
no i'm talking about the mod itself...what is it supposed to do?

Armando

1967 Chevy Camaro RS/SS
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew FX4
2007 Ford Mustang GT/CS (sold)
2002 F150 Harley Davidson (sold)
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 06, 04:56 PM
Senior Tech

Armando, the Mad Electric Headlight Relay kits (RLY-1) qty 2 will allow you to switch the headlamp loads onto the horn relay or a Mad Electric Power post you might put next to the horn relay. By doing this, your voltage won't drop so much to the headlamps, resulting in a true 14V current going to the headlamps at all times. This results in much brighter headlights as well as it takes all that load off the main fuse box wiring so your interior lights, dash lights, and brake lights won't suffer when headlights are on.

http://69camaro.nextmill.net/electrical.html

1969 Camaro - GM 2003 Electron Blue
Beck Racing 383 cu in 465HP Engine - Sean Murphy Inductions Stage 2 Quadrajet
TCI Streetfighter 350 - 3.73:1 Posi 10 Bolt Rear - 12.6 sec qtr mile

and
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 06, 05:24 PM
Senior Tech
Michael

Sorry Armando, and thanks Brian for clearing that up. Let me add that the relays can be utilized for any major draw items, such as electric fan, the headlights as mentioned, etc. Armando, I would HIGHLY recommend that you visit www.madelectric.com and see what Mark has on his sight. Be ready for ALOT of reading, the information on his sight is great and not only tells you about the modifications, but why they work and how they work. Beleive me, this guy really knows his stuff. I would suggest it to any and everyone. And do not hesitate to call Mark for explinations, he doesn't care if you are buying his stuff or not, he just loves to get the info out there. My system after the mods runs a solid 14 volts at all times, regardless of what is turned on.

Mike

Currently Camaroless
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 06, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

I am so new at this electrical stuff I guess I am not too confident in my ability. The pic's are a great reference tool. I guess I just gotta mount my MSD box and kinda go from there. It's just so confusing. Some of you said draw out a diagram. Yeah, right!! I have no idea how to draw out an electrical diagram let alone try and figure out what that is suppose to mean. I am confused.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 06, 03:41 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

Wink Re: Mad Electic upgrade going in

Trust me, you couldn't be more confused or less confident in your electrical abilities than I was. When I said to draw out a diagram, I didn't mean one of an electrician's quality, mine kind of looked like something that my daughter drew! Like I said, you can also go to madelectric.com and print out some of his diagams and just add in things like your MSD box. Trust me, you can do it!!! I'm going to send you a PM now.

Mike

Currently Camaroless
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 06, 06:38 AM
Retired
Jim

rsbecool, would you consider taking that FORD orange sticker off your fan shroud? Camaros never had a sticker there and certainly not the one that some catalogs are selling that only went on Ford cars.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 06, 12:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rene

Hey Jim, I bought the car with this on the shroud. It also had a ford coil on it that I already removed the sticker is next. It will be off by days end.

68 rs 350
M-20 4-speed
10 bolt 8.5 3.23

TC #24
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode