87 iroc charging nightmare - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 06, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

87 iroc charging nightmare

hello everyone, i have a 87 iroc camaro with the 305 TPI. the car runs fine but does not charge. i have a new battery, new alternator and a new volt gauge. i have checked all the grounds and they are clean and attached. i have checked the fusible links on the car and all are good. whe n the car is running the alternator puts out 0 volts. when i take it to the shop it puts out 14.4 volts. the alternator has a 3 wire plug on the back which i have no idea if what they go to. the belt is new and is not slipping. no noise at all coming out of the engine. anybody have any ideas? please thanks Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 06, 05:28 PM

Re: 87 iroc charging nightmare

If you have the plug connection I think you have, all you needed to do is to hot wire the brown wire into your primary ignition circuit to energized the alternator into charging, however you may lose the idiot light on your instrument panel in the process. Connect a volt meter red wire at that battery post and ground the black. Start the car and read the volt meter. It should read 13.75+ volts. This will get you charging but you need to find out why your brown wire is not normally energized.

https://www.camaros.net/techref/ftecref14.html
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 06, 04:46 AM Thread Starter

is the brown wire the one that goes to the volt gauge? if so what else is on that line? could it be a problem in the fuse panel? thanks for your help i will try it today. thanks ben

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 06, 05:41 PM

You have 3 wires leading to the alternator. One is a very heavy gauge wire all by itself that goes to the battery post on the alternator. The plug has 2 wires, one red about a 14 gauge and one brown about 18 gauge. Take a volt meter and check the volts running through the brown wire when the key is in the off position. It should be zero volts. Turn the key on to the run position and check the wire again. It should be 12 volts or whatever the volts are in the battery at the time. This brown wire runs to the negative side of your voltmeter in your instrument panel. The positive side of the volt meter goes to your run position of your ignition switch. From your ignition switch, it goes to the I/P ignition cluster. Yes check to see if you have power at this point. If you need a colored wiring diagram, I'll send you one. In a pinch as I said in my other post, I had the same problem as you, and all I did was energize the brown wire by cutting it and jumping the side going to the alternator into my primary wire that led to my distributor. When the key is off / the alternator is off thereby not draining the battery. In the run position when my distributor wire was energized, so was the alternator into charging mode. As I said, it was only a temporary fix to keep the battery charged, and when I find the time, I will go back to troubleshoot the circuit. If you find what my be causing your problem, please let me know, it could quite possibly help me solve mine.

Last edited by MwayneH; Mar 10th, 06 at 05:59 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 06, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

my alternator has the big red wire that goes off the charging post to the battery. then the plug has three wires to it. has 12 volts from battery. the center one goes to the fuel pump to turn it on. the third i think is th one that you are talking about. i still have not been able to test it. i will let you know ASAP. thanks for your time.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 06, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

if you have a diagram for the 3 wire plug. i could use that. thanks again.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 06, 05:43 PM

My scematics only shows a two wire setup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode