68 horn relay help needed - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 06, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

68 horn relay help needed

Hey guys, my first time here, looks great! Anyway, I have a 68 Camaro with no working horn. I did test the aftermarket button - OK, and tested the horns - OK. I traced the wiring down the steering column but it is lost in a mass of wiring the prior owner did. Where do I look for the relay to check this thing? Is it under the hood or inside the car?

Any advice is appreciated.

-shoe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 06, 02:08 AM
Senior Tech

Re: 68 horn relay help needed

Hi Shoe and welcome to Team Camaro. The horn relay is located on the radiator support just below your voltage regulator. There is a 10 gauge red wire connected to the horn relay, so you can't miss it. Usually the horn relay doesn't go bad. I think you should check for a loose connection in the wiring or at the horn button. To test your horn to see if there is a bad connection in the column or horn button, disconnect the turn signal harness and ground the horn wire (I believe it's the blue wire)......the horn should work. If the horn works, then the problem is in the column or at the horn button. If the horn does not work, then the problem is somewhere between the horn button and the relay.

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Camaro buds until the end!!!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 06, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Just finished it, thanks again for the info. It had been mounted upside down and was all rusted out. The horn lead was bad under the dash also, which took 1 1/2 hours to tone out and replace. 2 hours later I have a strong horn again!

It looks like the voltage regulator is mounted upside down as well, with all of the leads on top. I'll have to pull some slack to put it right, as they had wrapped all the wiring harness and monster stereo leads in a bundle, all zip tied and taped. Another 2 hour job.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 06, 12:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Shoe, check out the "what it is, Where it is" sticky at the top of electrical. Got a full set of 68 rad support electrical pics on there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode