75 ignition...? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 06, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

75 ignition...?

I have a 75 automatic v8 camaro and it wont start it has been sitting now for about a year. It used to run fine but i had the ignition fixed so you had to have the key to start it. about a month later it wouldnt turn on. When i turn the key it doesn't try and turn over, it acts like the battery is dead but its not. Ive been told that its either the wiring or the actual ignition in the steering colum i would appreciate it if some one could help point me in the right direction on what to do. Oh and i really dont know a whole lot about cars so if you could plz not use technical terms i would appreciate it.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 06, 06:12 PM
Senior Tech
Steven

Re: 75 ignition...?

Shift the car to drive and back to park ... then try to start it gain ...if still no turn over, place it in neutral and try ... I suspect the neutral safety switch ... Sometimes you'll get a no start if it slightly mis-aligned ... You might even try grabbing the lower steering column and turning it counter-clockwise ...If you are not sure what part I mean, shift the car and watch which part of the column turns ... watch when it goes back into park ...the grab it and continue to try to rotate it in that last direction ... And, make sure all battery cable connections are clean ... Lastly, you may be looking at a bad starter ..may be seized after sitting so long ...do you even hear a click ???
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 06, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

yes i hear clicks when i turn the key like you would normally, but its like everything is completely dead. Im pretty sure it is not the battery cuss i chared it. and im pretty sure its not the starter but it might be cuss i just put a new one on. I personally believe it may have somthing to do with the wiring because theres a random wire hanging down from under the dash it looks to be a ground wire cuss it black and has a horse shoe shaped head on it, but im probably wrong,

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 06, 04:38 PM
Senior Tech
Steven

Do you have a volt meter or multi-meter ? If you battery has sat for a year, it may not be holding a full charge... Also, closely inspect you battery cables for signs of corrosion. Now, as far as the click goes, listen to be sure that it is coming from the starter area... If the starter is indeed clicking, that usually implies insufficient voltage... A new starter can be bad, but we won't assume that yet. I can't respond about the black wire with horse-ship shape clip other than to say it does sound like a ground wire..maybe to the radio if aftermarket radio is in car ... try to trace it...
Going full circle, if you battery charger has a boost circuit or you have a friend ( preferably not-computer car ) that can give you a jump, try that. Now, worst case is that I hope that your engine isn't seized. It shouldn't be from just sitting for this amount of time, but it is possible, especially if corrosion is present in the engine... With the clicking, you need to insure that you are getting full voltage to the starter...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode