Ignition Problem - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 06, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Ignition Problem

Last week when I was tuning the carb. I was starting & stopping many times. I would say by the 5th time, when I went to start the engine, the ignition wouldn't turn over. It was like I had a bad battery, where it tries to turn over, but there isn't enough juice it cranked very slow if at all & made a weird sound. I checked the battery with a meter & it had 12 volts. Eventually changed batteries & still same problem. I had one of those high torque starters installed a year ago, so not sure if it went bad. after trying to turn the engine over for 10 minutes all of a sudden the engine turned over & fired right up. In the last 6 days since that happened I would say it has happened again twice. Just not to that extreme. When I go to start the engine it gives that momentary sound like the battery is weak, then it fires up. Battery still shows 12 volts it's about 11 volts on the gauge before the engine starts, but with the key in the on position. I checked & cleaned all the battery connections, wires & checked the plugs. All look good. Could it be the ignition switch itself it bad? Starter went bad? Maybe a bad coil? I would hate to have to change everything out one by to see if it fixes the problem. Hopefully there is some way to check these things out first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 06, 10:35 PM

Re: Ignition Problem

Sounds like timing to me. I would say it is too advanced. Try backing it off a little and see if it improves.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 06, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

I did bump it up a little. I was having a backfire through the carb during warm up & thought the timing was a little low. I'll bring it to where it was. I didn't know too much timing would act like a weak battery during start up

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 06, 01:01 AM
Senior Tech

On the timing you want to retard it if it was so far advanced to cause a starting problem (Firing through the carb). I think you have just another bad starter. They start to turn over slowly at first, then go out completely. Heat is the number one killer of starters. You didn't say what year car you have, or maybe I missed it. Starters on the 3rd Gen Camaros go out all the time, because the starters are right next to the exhaust.

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Camaro buds until the end!!!

Last edited by Camaro Dave; Mar 28th, 06 at 01:24 AM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 06, 05:08 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Wrap the starter with a heat shield, it will help.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 06, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

I have a 67 with MSD control box & coil. I will look at another starter to replace the one I have. Hopefully the starter is my problem. Occasionaly it seems there isn't enough spark to fire the engine. It has only happened a couple of times, but I had to crank & crank the engine until it would fire. It just turned over but never caught. Any good recommendations on high torque starters?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 06, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky13
I had to crank & crank the engine until it would fire. It just turned over but never caught.
You might try to pump the gas pedal a couple times before cranking.

You should hook up a light to the ignition circuit to see if the system is getting crank ign voltage.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 06, 12:40 PM
Senior Tech

Do you have a 12 gauge wire going to the coil at start up? You need a full 12 volts going to the coil at start up. Also, did you replace the resistor wire with a 12 gauge wire? Since you no longer have the factory points, you need a constant 12 volts going to the coil.

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 06, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dave
Do you have a 12 gauge wire going to the coil at start up? You need a full 12 volts going to the coil at start up. Also, did you replace the resistor wire with a 12 gauge wire? Since you no longer have the factory points, you need a constant 12 volts going to the coil.
I purchased the car with the coil already wired. I was cjecking it out last night & it is a thick wire. Not sure if it's 12 gauge though. From the starter it goes to a connector module & then from there it goes to the MSD box 7 from there a wire to the positive side of coil. I used a test light & turned the key on but no voltage. Did some searching & others have said no voltage until you turn the engine over & they also say do not hook up any test equipment o the coil. Not sure how to test it then.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 06, 07:49 PM
Senior Tech

Hummmm....... I would think that you would need 12 volts to the coil with the key in the on position. How many wires do you have connected to the positive side of the coil?

Also, it sounds like you have a 10 gauge wire which will work just as well as a 12 gauge wire.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 06, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Just one wire. Still can't figure out if the problem is with the starter, coil, or ignition switch. Maybe I should just replace all 3.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 06, 04:44 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

I suggest you disconnect the MSD box from the ignition system and go back to the distributor installed in car now.

If an HEI is installed, hook the large gauge wire, full time current with ign ON, to the BAT terminal of dist.

If points dist, use a ballast resistor, then hook up to + terminal on coil with dist on - terminal.

Or borrow a distributor and substitute.

What model of dist & coil is in the car now?

'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode