Replacement instrument panel light bulbs - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 06, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

Replacement instrument panel light bulbs

Hay guys, Does anyone know of an outfit that makes replacement light bulbs for a 67 instrument panel, the kind that attach to the printed circut on back of the speedo and tach? If so, are brighter bulbs available? I just installed a set of gages and the new gage lights are so much brighter than the rest of the dash lights. Thanks in advance, rat67
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 06, 06:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Replacement instrument panel light bulbs

These are standard bulbs available at any autoparts store.
The standard bulb is a type 194, and is a 4 watt bulb.
There is also a type 197 bulb, which is 7 watts. I use these, and they are definitely brighter than the 194's.

Also, did you tie your illumination for the new guages into the same guage light circuit? If not, you should. They won't be so bright, and will dim by turning the headlight switch. The guage light circuit is the GRAY wire under the dash, or the fusebox terminal marked "ILUM" or something like that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 06, 02:42 PM
Senior Tech

On a '67 there should be a male spade terminal marked LPS next to the short instrument lamp fuse.

69 RS 355 Tremec 5-Speed 4.11's

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 06, 02:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12run
On a '67 there should be a male spade terminal marked LPS next to the short instrument lamp fuse.
yea, that's it, LPS

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 06, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the speedy response! I never would have guessed that those bulbs are still available at the corner parts house. Yes I did manage to hook the gages to the right circuit, at least I'm assuming I did because the dimmer switch works on the gages. One more question- Have you been running the 197 (7 watt) bulbs for long? if so have you experienced any heat problems in that old plastic carrier due to the higher watage bulbs?-rat67
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 06, 07:33 PM
Senior Tech

Does anyone make LED replacements for these lamps?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old May 12th, 06, 11:26 PM
Senior Tech
John

I just tried some dash and gauge 194 type LEDs and they ain't bright enough.

I have some 2825 Sylvaina bulbs that are supposed to be the brightest available to try next.

'70 Nova, 355 ci, Edelbrock heads #6089, 64cc, 9.8-1 compression, Hyd roller cam 230/236 .510/.520, Scorpion roller rockers, RPM intake, Holley #3310, 1 5/8 Hookers, 2 1/2 exhaust w/ Spintech mufflers, Super T-10 4 speed
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old May 13th, 06, 08:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I've run the 7 watt bulbs for 2 years, no problems.
Had the dash apart 2 weeks ago working a speedo problem, bulb sockets and pcb were fine, no discoloration, sockets not getting brittle, no sign of overheating at all

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 09, 07:31 PM
Guess

Dredging up an oldie but goodie.....

Anyone ever see a replacement bulb (incandescent) like the 194 or 197 that is colored? I want to change the dash lighting to red, but not with LEDs.
I'm thinking a red lens would kill some of the brightness, unless the 197's are really that bright.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 09, 07:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

not colored, but my memory was bad when I posted that number oh so many years ago...

The bright ones are number 1893.

I also have some 161's in the drawer, don't know what they are.

Joe, on my 68, the "glow" is green. There's a metal peice with round cutouts, fits over the speedo and tach, it's painted green and that's what gives the instruments thier green glow. A 67 has a similar peice, I don't remember what color, but if you painted the back of it red, I'll bet the gauges would glow RED!

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 09, 08:04 PM
Guess

Yeah, that 197 number was a no-go in my searches.

And yes, the '69 carrier has green (melted!) filters up above the two large gauges, but I imagine they'll be pretty dim. I suppose I can find some thick red filter material and try that with brighter bulbs. That 1893 is a twist in bulb, not a wedge base bulb, and it's 4.6 watts.

161's are 2.7 watts.
168's are 4.9 watts.
194's do come in amber.

The automotive wedge type bulbs we're looking for are T-3 bulbs by the way.

Very handy resource.... http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...lacementGuide/

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 09, 08:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

I used some blue 194's in my Toyota's gauges. I got them from Autozone. I wanted them to match my Sirius satellite radio illumination. They were blue for about a month, then turned back to normal. I guess the coloring burnt off.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 09, 08:59 PM
Guess

Bummer!
Maybe I'll try some LEDs and see how I like 'em.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode